what are some of the differences between avira and f-secure?? not a vs thread

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by zfactor, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i dont want this to be a vs thread please dont close it.. i simply want to know is anyone can tell me the real overall differences between the 2 av's.. is there anything i should know the one may have the other does not...o_O are they both vista compatable?? i hate installing and uninstalling all these av's as so much junk gets left behind usually that i would really like to know if one key thing on one would make the difference of you using it or not. i dont care about which has better protection since they both are doing well.. but i do care about updates ... etc things like that. im thinking about trying. thanks in advance

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

both have:

antivirus
    antispam
    firewall
    http scanner
    and a tray icon :)

f-secure adds behaviour protection in the form of normans DeepGuard technology.

3. zfactor

so is f-secure part of normans?? or just using their technology?

both companies web site are simply just stink as far as detailed info goes.. i cant find much about either on their sites..

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

just using their technology,

Deepguard is mainly a HIPS which checks the behaviour of such files, however... it also adds 'some' heuristics to f-secures own, (i think).

and yes, Deepguard is technology by Norman (not Norton - just making that clear :D )

i could enter into the thread with rants and raves of these products, but it would get closed, im not sure i could tell you much more.

http://www.f-secure.com/deepguard/

5. zfactor

can i throw avk in that mix?? what about them?? anything different/missing/additional?? not looking for rants or raves lol just solid info... thanks

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

IMO AVK's english support is mediocre at best, you would probably be better off avoiding AVK for now. AVK is also very heavy, but it does have some decent proactive protection abilities.

DeepGuard in F-Secure is the Norman Sandbox technology, and just the sandbox, not the entire AV engine of norman.

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

avk is a bit more 'system heavy' but its still not too bad. (2008 is much better than 2007 regarding system resources and peformance)

its a multi-engine av product, it uses kaspersky and avast i believe.

the software is a little basic, but it is extremely secure and its performance against threats, is reallllllllly good.

8. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Where is it? :) I can't seem to find it..

Totally agreed.

9. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

10. xandros

xandros Registered Member

avira antivir premium light on the computer
    but f-secure its need more ram

11. Macstorm

12. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

oops, i totally didnt see my mistake.

long day at work o_O

plus ive only just woke up lol, some exercise i think and back to sleep, brain needs to be rebooted.

here you go:

2007 is much better than 2006.

13. trjam

trjam Registered Member

wanna bet. F-Secure 2008 is using the same crappy updater from the past. So you want to talk about hit or miss updates. Sorry, after paying for it and working with them, their FSIS gets a big fungus infected::thumbd:

And Chris, the problem is even worse for the OEM folks, as I know.

14. Macstorm

Thanks mate, I thought you were trying the 2008 :)

guess what? the Gdata's upgrade service webpage http://www.gdata.de/support/GB/upgradeservice/ is still offering the 2007 version for its registered customers, however the german website has already the new 2008 (162MB :eek: AV only).
    I'm downloading it now but I'm afraid it's german language though :D

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

f-secure doesnt have any update problems, and hasnt since the day backweb was a seperate utility, and i can assure you, there is nothing wrong with the OEM versions.

i absolutely hated 2006, it was the slowest thing ever!
    however, when i gave 2007 a try, it was much better.

obviously the 2008 version is due?...... lets hope its a further improvement then :)

16. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

I think FSIS has got it right, an is a more mature program than Avira. But that's just my impression It was a toss up between it & Norton. FWIW all the tnamed programs have their merits, you have to try them... BTW Ttjam, didn't you just tout FSIS not too long ago?,

17. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

So far, I'm seeing more personal opinions being offered than factual information. Please re-read the thread starter's questions, and let's move away from the personal opinions, or this thread will be closed. The thread starter is looking for factual differences.

18. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  19. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

if you always throw that line out everytime people give their thoughts than all threads will be closed. I think having an AV forum & not being able to discuss them reasonably without threat of closing the thread to be a useless forum. The thread was differences & he asked the forum members. Correct me if I'm wrong since none of us here wrote the programs isn't the intersted party asking for our opinions on the differences?, I apologize if you feel I'm out of line but I still think opinions is what healthy discussions are about...

20. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

there seems to be more arguments now then when v.s threads were common place. i miss those days. uninstalled mcafee and installed avira. runs very good.

21. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, any perceived occurrence of "more arguments" is from those people who still insist on starting or turning threads into "this versus that" or "which is best" type topics.

In any case, I will make the following statements for those who don't understand...

1. The policy of not allowing "which is best" or "this versus that" threads is here to stay. We're not changing that, and if a thread is started to either end, or later gets turned to one, it'll be actioned as appropriate by the staff.

2. Moderation notes in threads are meant to be reminders to keep people focused and on-topic. They are added to try to steer threads and prevent them from being further actioned. They are not meant to be replied to or commented on themselves.

Snapdragin's post was just such a reminder. There have been a number of threads where reminders and redirection comments by staff have managed to keep the threads on-topic and open, and which have resulted in good discussions.

I'm sorry some people don't like this policy, but, after enduring a massive number of pointless "my AV is better than yours" or "which AV is the best?" threads over an extended amount of time, we finally had enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.