What are "Quarantine" and "Disinfect"?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by HandsOff, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Have to admit I do not understand. It makes a copy prior to removal of the virus, for backup purposes I assume. Then Removes original to clean infection. Well, what else could it do but put it in quarantine. If not...you are still infected.

Quarantine I assumed was some place from which the virus is helpless...I really have no idea what it is though. When I suspect a file but it is not detected then I encrypt it with a password. That's my "poor man's quarantine" Any more details?

Also, I have Trojan Hunter on my system. When it "disinfects" a file what it does is to rename it,

Filename.exe.tcf

assuming it was previously an exe. The Trojan is not relegated to some hidden quarantine. you will find it right where you left it. Honestly, I do not know what is to prevent it from being changed back. I know there is a file association, but I dont see that as a barrier to simply renaming the file back. Then again, I suppose If a program renamed it back, it could just as easily reinfect...maybe...

How safe am Io_O

- HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.