What are all these error messages !!?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by ESS_Lover, Aug 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ESS_Lover

ESS_Lover Registered Member

Hi Moerators
    please give me one reason for all these error messages !
    Does this mean ESS is too weak to be able to scan these files ?!
    and Isn't it dangerous to leave files in C:\windows\system32 without scanning ?!

o_O o_O o_O o_O

See Picture Below :
    http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9913/logk.jpg

Thank you for your support
    Regards
    ESS Lover

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Files with "error opening" are files used by an application or the operating system itself . That is the reason ESET AV or whatever AV cannot gather access to them . Such citical files for the OS are generally thought to be clean / non-malicious if your OS is genuie.

Some other files lister in your picture receive errors like "archive damanged" or "password protected " for archives . Damaged files cannot be scanned/accessed . One must know the password for an archive in order to unpack it (unzip/unrar it) . NOD32 can't scan it/access it without the password

3. ESS_Lover

Thanks for replying ASpace
    but as you see , those files who ESS claims to be Damaged Archives actually are 100% working files and also some files in System32 haven't been scanned even though other AV scanned them before like Avira also ESS sometimes shows errors like Unknown Compression Method ! that means ESS need to be improved and should be able to unpack any compressed file and scan it .
    so could you please explain that ?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

No AV supports all compression algorithms / methods. Of course, archive support is continually being improved. I'd recommend conveying drivers.cab from the iso file to customer care so that they pass it to the developers for perusal. In the case of runtime packers, an error scanning file does not necessarily mean that the file isn't scanned as advanced heuristics can still emulate the code even if a static unpacker fails.

5. ESS_Lover

That's very good to hear Marcos
    Many thanks

Before I though that those errors mean that this item isn't scanned :oops:
    but now I know :D

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.