What are all the free AV programs?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by masqueofhastur, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Registered Member

I tried doing a search, but I had a bunch of Nod32 threads coming up, so "free antivirus" doesn't get me what I want.

I already know about Avast, AVG, Avira, ClamWin... what else is out there that I should look into?

Thanks

2. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Comodo, Antidote, BitDefender, PC Tools, Ashampoo etc.

3. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

Oh Ashampoo only has a free firewall not an antivirus.

4. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

After Avast, AVG and Avira I doubt there are any free av's that would really be all that recommended to have for realtime protection- if that is what you are looking for.

Free after rebate is another arena of free software. You have to come up with the money up front and sometimes there is additional shipping charges. But you get most/all the purchase price back. Pretty much all the major av's have FAR offers except NOD32. You can find the offers from sites like Amazon, Newegg, Frys, etc.

There are sometimes free promos for an av that usually cost. Those would include something like free McAfee Virus Scan Plus from NatWest-

http://www.natwest.com/microsites/personal/latest_deals/index.asp?referrer=online

And there are some online services that offer free av's. Many ISP's offer them so you may want to check on that. And AOL offers some sort of version of the McAfee VSP through their website.

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Avira, Avast and AVG are the only ones I would recommend, Clam is good in Linux environment but their definition and engine needs to catch up considerably for Windows.

6. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

PC Tools isn't all that bad either and if you consider using ClamAV, you may just as well use Comodo. They are both somehow on par detection wise but Comodo offers real-time scanner. But out of both i'd rather use PC Tools if i'd have to.
    Otherwise proven avast!, AVG and AntiVir.
    If you don't like either and you only trust big companies, then AOL VirusScan Plus is the only free choice at the moment (full featured McAfee VirusScan Plus with AOL logo).

8. combo

combo Registered Member

9. Big Apple

Big Apple Frequent Poster

10. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.