What are all the BDR files Bitdefender puts in a a computer's root directory?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by nine9s, Oct 16, 2014.

1. nine9s

nine9s Registered Member

I installed Bitdefender for the first time yesterday.

I just noticed there are five files (most small but one is 48 megabytes and the other almost 4 megabytes) starting with bdr (bdr-bz01, bdr-cf01, bdr-im01.gz, bdr-ld01, and bdr0ld01.mbr) as well as a bdlog.txt file.

Anyone know if these are trash files that can be deleted? Or are they important?

2. Charyb

Charyb Registered Member

I believe these are used to boot into a Linux environment so you can run a scan outside Windows. Don't delete these. I don't remember what Bitdefender calls it. Maybe, Rescue mode?

It doesn't work in Windows 8 without disabling secure boot. At least it didn't when I was using BD.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  3. Banzi

Banzi Registered Member

As Charyb says they are there for the rescue mode function that allows you to boot into a rescue mode to scan or remove threats, because it adds itself to the boot menu it backs up the mbr (bdr0ld01.mbr) bdr-im01.gz is the rescue mode compressed file. I wouldn't recommend deleting them in case it causes any boot issues in future.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.