What am I getting myself in to with HDDErase

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by Rilla927, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

2. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

I haven't read that article, but have used HDDErase.exe on the UBCD for HDD's not SDD's.
    SDD's are a different technology and will have different requirements for completing a secure erasure than HDD's.

Originally HDDErase.exe was available here Center for Magnetic Recording Research UC San Diego

In the CMRR HDDErase literature, the removal and reinstallation of HDD's is for a condition of the BIOS called a freeze lock that prevents a HDD from being wiped by a rogue program/user.
    Since it requires physical access to overcome the freeze lock it limits potential damage.

HDDErase.exe is just a program to access the Secure Erase Function built into HDD's since 2001.
    hdparm in Linux, from a LiveCD can do the same.

If you're interested in really fast wiping, HDD's with built in encryption tend to support the Enhanced Secure Erase function which allows for a 1 terabyte drive to be wiped in less than 20 seconds.

3. Rilla927

Oh, okay, I got it. I was worried of getting locked out of the drive.

I have a 500gig drive to wipe. All my drives were bought between 2003-2005 so I don't know if it has Enhanced Secure Erase or not. That would be awesome to be able to do it that fast.

I have been using Dban and I'm sick of waiting kazillions of hours before I can touch it.

4. dantz

dantz Registered Member

You couldn't possibly erase that much data that quickly on a conventional hard drive. It's probably just erasing the encryption key.

5. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

It is easy enough to verify if just wiping an encryption key is what is occurring.

Must have a HDD that has built in encryption.
    The HDD must support the Enhanced Secure Erase function.
    A hex editor to view before and after.

No zeros and data is still on the drive.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Enhanced Secure Erase is indeed just wiping the encryption key:

7. Rilla927

Does anyone know if HDD Erase wipes USB sticks? I have been searching the net and found nothing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.