What add-ons do I need on Firefox to be anonymous without Tor Browser Bundle?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by DesuMaiden, Jul 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

I wan a comprehensive list of add-ons and other features I must install onto Firefox browser in order to anonymously browse the web. I'm not tech savvy at all so could you guys tell me how these add-ons can be implemented my browser in a step-by-step fashion to increase my anonymity while surfing and posting on the internet without having to resort to TBB.

I cannot rely exclusively on Tor because I would like to use flash, javascript , plugins and other scripting features that allow me to use live content (like streaming videos and playing flash games).

Relying exclusively on Tor for anonymous web browsing--while very full-proof--is too limiting because it doesn't allow me to use live content. So browsing the web with Tor is like browsing the internet back in the early 1990s before flash and javascript was invented. Back before live content was available. So exclusively relying on Tor for online anonymity make my web browsing very, very static. I cannot use any live content over Tor. So all the webpages I use are static and I cannot use many of the features many other forum users take for granted. For example, I cannot use the smilie features on the right hand side of the "Reply to Thread" page (which I'm currently using right now for making this post).

In summary, I want to anonymously use the internet with the ability to use live content.

What kind of add-ons do I need to anonymously browse the internet with Firefox browser without the Tor Browser Bundle.

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

For that you can learn how to route traffic from a virtual machine over TOR.

Without using TOR, a VPN, or a proxy you will not be anonymous.

3. noblelord

noblelord Registered Member

Why do you want to be anonymous? This is a genuine question as without understanding why, you cannot fully explain how.

As a general note, remember that the more add-ons you install, the less anonymous you might become. Imagine a crowd of average people in a shopping mall (default Firefox installations) - you (Firefox with 20 add-ons) don't blend into the background when you're the one wearing five hats and carrying 15 handbags.

Often I find that Tor on its own, with a stock FF browser and no add-ons gives greater anonymity than other setups....

4. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Even using Tor, it's hard to know how "anonymous" you really are.

But you're definitely not anonymous when websites see your real IP address, no matter what add-ons you install.

If it's OK to do those things without being "anonymous", just (as Nebulus suggested) use Tor in a VM. That's easy with Whonix or Tails.

If you really do want to "use live content" over Tor, you'll need to tunnel a VPN through Tor. You can do that with VMs.

5. adrelanos

adrelanos Registered Member

Such a solution has not been developed by anyone. Someone should lobby for using Tor Browser behind VPNs, I'd do it, but I am quite busy with Whonix already.

Tor Browser isn't just a pile of addons. It contains prefs and patches.

Source (written by me, but points to official sources):
    https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorifyHOWTO/WebBrowsers

To make your own, you would have to build Tor Browser from source code. You're very welcome to do so, since they just added support for deterministic builds.

6. Snoop3

Snoop3 Registered Member

7. scriptolab

scriptolab Registered Member

... or you can use the exact TBB fingerprint addons and security patches that come with it by launching it without Vidalia/Tor even in windows.
    And it's not at all limiting. You can even enable flash, if you must.

I just leave it stock (I just added adblock plus with easy+privacy list) and can use smileys and it's quite a good experience surfing the web with it.

But of course, you need a proxy/socks for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.