What about Norton 2010?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Nightwalker, Feb 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Hi folks, next week i am going to buy a new pc ( a powerful one with Win7 Ultimate x64 :D ) and i am thinking to install Norton IS 2010.
    How light it really is? How it impacts in online games , p2p , virtualization?
    I will play a lot of games ( thanks to Radeon HD 5870) and i will do some enginnering works so this is a important question for me.

Thanks.

2. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

I have NIS2010 on one of my machines, and it's my gaming machine. I honestly can't tell it is there while gaming. It is very very light.

P2P - no problem. It automatically creates proper rules for uTorrent, DC++, and any other legit P2P app. And I retain my full 100 Mbit speed with everything enabled.

I have had no problem with NIS2010 at all, except for the current full screen bug:

http://community.norton.com/t5/Nort...2;jsessionid=CBF916BC8640CAB6E129A16B498EC7D5

It's doesn't really harm anything, but it is an annoyance. Symantec seems to be aware of the issue, though, and hopefully a fix will be out soon.

3. icr

icr Registered Member

Yeah it is really light I have a gaming computer and have installed NIS 2010 in it it doesn't cause any slowdowns actually gaming computer means lots of RAM so it shouldn't be any problems to you so I suggest to go for it.

Happy Gaming;) :p ;)

4. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

Speaking about RAM... it doesn't really use any either. :D

5. kasperking

kasperking Registered Member

well its one of the lightest...no nonsense suite...but for its over eager sonar 2 which usually doesn't like beta builds of other software :p

6. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Yeah i agree, SONAR-2 is way too sensitive...Whenever i try to install current version of Sandboxie, then Norton SONAR-2 popup and delete/quarantine it under the High Risk File..:(

7. icr

icr Registered Member

Have you notified them in their forums or you can add to exclusions:)

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

It's very light and works pretty well. The only reason I am not still running it is that I had it automatically delete some files on one of my flash drives without allowing me the option to do anything about it. These were Nirsoft password recovery tools. Trying to restore them results in them getting deleted again, and trying to exclude them is a race to get it done before they are deleted again. I work in IT so I need files like that, if you don't them I would have no complaints. I posted in their forums and submitted to their tech support that I will not reinstall it until they give me the option to be prompted when a file like that is detected rather than just deleting it. Haven't heard anything... But again for the average user it is fine.

9. AvinashR

Its totally based on aggressive heuristic tech. so i have not notified them. Whenever i try to install it, i stop Sonar first.

10. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

On my notebook, it slowed down little things like the windows jump list.

11. AvinashR

Are you using Norton IS 2010 or Norton IS 2010 "Netbook Edn." ?

12. Pain of Salvation

I was using Norton Antivirus 2010.

My notebook is a Dell Inspiron 1545 C2D P8600 with 3gb of RAM.

I don't have any slowdown with MSE, NOD32 or Avast.

13. guest

guest Guest

Take a look here:
    http://www.av-comparatives.org/comparativesreviews/performance-tests

14. xxJackxx

This is a common complaint on their forums. I didn't experience it myself.

15. Pain of Salvation

I really would use Norton 2010 if I haven't this problem. I still have 270 days left of my license. Do you know if there is some kind of fix for this? I'm searching on their foruns, didn't found anything...

16. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i have used and installed norton on a TON of systems since we carry it in my shop. i have only seen it slowdown a couple systems and those were xp ones with little to no ram at all like 256 or 512 total. anything 1gb or higher have been fine. note with norton it does take a few reboots and for insight to get a full reading of all files as well as a full scan for it to be at its fastest. what we do is after install we always immediately run insight and do a full scan and reboot the machine a few times before the customer gets it. it *may* slow certain things more than others but any av has this issue certain ones will slwo browsing or file read or rar etc.. they each have their own thing there is not one that is perfect with everything

overall nis2010 is a fantastic program. as a few said sometimes a but sensitive with new threats but it does also offer great removal as well.

17. raven211

raven211 Registered Member

If you notify them, they'll modify their heuristics. ;) Things like this has been brought up during the beta for example.

18. xxJackxx

Sorry, but the last update (17.5.0.xx) was supposed to fix it and didn't. I believe the problem was introduced with the 17.1.0.119 (I think that was the number.) I think you are not seeing it in their forums at this point because the people that aren't having the problem aren't talking about it and everyone else gave up.

19. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Using it with no slow down on Windows 7 and an E 8400 CPU.

20. Legendkiller

Legendkiller Registered Member

well using NIS 2010 for over 2months on my winxp-sp3 machine with no hassles what so ever......i will recommend it also because it needs 0% user interaction.....
    and is very light on my PC...

21. flik

flik Registered Member

I like norton antivirus 2010 very much. I think is one of the 3 best antivirus programs.
    Sorry for the off-topic question, but I wouldn't like to open a new topic:
    In norton tasks, I see that there is the job "Norton Insight". I clicked and it took 2 minutes. This job is insight network scan or it just recollects the files that don't require scanning. It does the same job when I click at application ratings? zfactor said that they run immediately norton insight, how?

22. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

Click "Application Ratings"

Re-Fresh.png

and then you might need to click "Refresh"

23. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

correct once you run it the first time it will only look for new items later or things that actually need to be scanned so its not scanning every file on your hdd. once it marks them trusted it doesnt need to scan them again unless they are changed

24. flik

flik Registered Member

Ok, thanks guys

25. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Thanks guys :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.