What about Kaspersky Anti-Hacker?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dsr_sp, Jul 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dsr_sp

dsr_sp Registered Member

I know kaspersky av is one of the best out there, but is this other kaspersky software any good?

Regards

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I use it and love it. I have the 1.5.92 version. It's easy to configure, easy to make rules, light on resources, and just a nice firewall. It doesn't have ZA's bells and whistles or pretty interface, but if you just want a firewall, I'll sure recommend it. I've tried a lot of various firewalls and keep coming back to Antihacker.

3. dsr_sp

dsr_sp Registered Member

Thank you Chuck, ill give it a try.

Regards.

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI chuck.... would you mind posting some screenies of it... in particular the main GUI and then the section where rules reside.

Cheers, TAS

5. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, I also wonder about this one, if it's just as good as ZA Pro I want to give it a try, because ZA Pro uses way to much resources. :(

I already tried Sygate and Kerio and did not like them. I also want to check out Outpost, I'm hearing positive things about it, but also quite a few negative.

6. Chuck57

I've tried posting the GUI info, but can't seem to get anything to work. I'm not doing something right, but don't know what.

7. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Is this right?

Attached Files:

8. Chuck57

That's the main GUI....I have mine set to high, since I've got everything else fixed the way I want it. Great little firewall and my browser, Firefox, takes care of the popups and other garbage so I really don't need that stuff in a firewall.

9. Tassie_Devils

thanks Ron/Chuck for replies.

I may take a decko at this app myself.

Ron, I know Chuck loves it, but what do you think about it in terms of:

1: Setup including: Ease of install, Use, Configure, etc.
    2: Rulesets
    3: Alerting/Logs
    4: Resources
    5: Problems? Crashes? Quirks?
    6: Testing of it. Been to any 'dubious' places or GRC/Blackcode/PCFlank/Sygate/Security Scan/etc. etc.
    7: Rating.

Cheers, TAS

edit: Thanks for screenie btw, nice looking GUI, but expect nothing else from Kaspersky of course. ;)

10. Chuck57

Been to any 'dubious' places or GRC/Blackcode/PCFlank/Sygate/Security Scan/etc. etc.

I've tested mine at grc, pcflank, sygate, auditmypc, and hackerwatch, and it's passed all without a problem. There are so many of these places available, it's hard to know which are the best and most reliable. I've settled on these 5 as being a good representation of what a my firewall will do, although there may be others that are better.

11. Tassie_Devils

thanks Chuck for the info.

Yep, I've used all of those and as good as any mate.

I found out Ronjor does not use it himself, just posted a screenie for me.

I shall give it a go, see what happens in next couple of days when I get my system hooked up again. Currently on another testing, etc.

Cheers, TAS

12. musicman

musicman Registered Member

Hello Everyone:
    Just a quick note about this firewall. I downloaded the trial version, which installed with no problem, it required a reboot and thats where the problems started. It would not allow me to load Windows (98SE) I received a error message in Dos......"Windows protection error"...tried again no good. Had to uninstall in Safe Mode!!! Any suggestions. I test security software out, but unable to install this application.

13. Chuck57

I've never had a problem with Kaspersky's firewall. I have a 'thing' about firewalls and will usually try any new one that comes along, so I've uninstalled and reinstalled Antihacker a number of times. Every install went without a hitch.

I use Win XP Home, and try to clean every bit of every previous firewall out before reinstalling Antihacker. I notice I've got some pieces of McAfee Security Suite left on this machine. It keeps asking for access to the Internet, and I can't find any bits of McAfee anywhere. Regardless, Antihacker installed and is running even with some McAfee leftovers somewhere in the computer.

14. backfolder

backfolder Registered Member

Well, I´ve read (but can´t believe) in a shareware site that Anti-Hacker doesn´t support ADSL Modems (http://www.softonic.com/ie/25622/Kaspersky_Anti-Hacker). Can anyone confirm this? Another question, how much resources gets, mem, processes ?
    Will Kaspersky update this product?

Thanks in advance!

backfolder.-

15. Ferdi

Ferdi Guest

For the people wanting to see more of KAH, I found this site:
    http://web.tiscali.it/winzozzzz/kah.htm

It has quite some screenshots and some info about them, but couldn't read it since it's in Italian (I think :)). Looks to me like they tried to copy Outpost's style of rule creation?

16. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

The new version does support ADSL Modems, while KAH 1 did not.

There were a number of problems with KAH 1 when it was first released, including 'stealth-mode' not working as it should have done. Overall, it looked like KAH 1 was a rushed 'beta' release!

However, KAH 1.5 shows a number of improvements, although I have seen some posts on the Internet which state that it cannot stop some trojans phoning out from your machine.

I have trialled this firewall and my only criticism is that I think it is expensive, particularly the renewal price, in comparison to some other firewalls e.g. LookNStop, which (at the present time ) have only a one-off payment.

17. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

How is it on resources compaired to L-n-S?

18. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

only 4 mb in memory and that is all.

it is a very good reliable av. and easy to make advanced rules.

19. juppy

juppy Registered Member

I have Kaspersky Anti-Hacker and found it easy to use and working well.
    I use it in conjunction with Kaspersky AV personal and TDS and am very happy. :D

20. Tassie_Devils

thanks for the feedback guys. ;)

I will definitely trial it when time permits.

Also a welcome to you Juppy to the forum mate. :D Thanks for your thoughts on it. :) I also run 4.5 PRO and TDS so should go well then.

Cheers, TAS

21. Matiofsky

Matiofsky Guest

22. cerealkiler

cerealkiler Registered Member

does any know if kaspersky anti-hacker have any problem with bittorrent? i was using zonelarm and found out it had problem with Bittorrent(i kept thinking it was my internet or window @@)......and another question, is Kaspersky as hard to get off ur system as norton firewall o_O.....just wandering....thankx for any reply..

23. sim

sim Guest

i have been using KAH and have to say that it fails to stealth your computer's ports properly, you can get around this problem by manually configuring it, HOWEVER: when tested at www.grc.com, if found that KAH responded to pings way to easily, zone alarm remains stealthed under attack, whereas KAH's 'repulsions' of many simple attacks alerts hackers to the existance of ur computer. This is a serious issue and you would have thought this would have been rectified in 1.5. i would be interested in people's views on this.

cheers.

24. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

I am very interested in this application as it seems to cover the basics I need to have as I am behind a router. I am currently running Outpost Pro on my main PC (a few wee screen errors have appear from time to time :'( ) I love the firewall otherwise but have had to change the way I normally use a firewall (not running it at boot etc plus the log became corrupted today o_O )

I haven't yet installed a firewall on my laptop which is why this one is of interest considering the little resources it uses. I really do only need something to alarm me if an application is asking to go out as my router is my ultimate inbound block. It certainly looks good and I will look forward to any reports on this - hopefully it works with a router. I may test it on my laptop which I only have online from time to time but still feel the need for a little extra protection.

Oh dear just found this:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2004
  25. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Hi Robyn

I trialed Kaspersky Anti-Hacker a couple of month's ago, it worked just fine with my router, it was stealth at grc.com, light on resources, and as i remember it does have outbound protection, and is IMO very easy to configure (including rules config).

I am back with Outpost, i somehow always come back to it after trying other firewalls, even if do like them. :)

BTW. I have not experienced any bluescreens or anything else with SP2 (so far :cool: :D), i am asuming that you're running SP2. This is with a clean install.

Regards

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.