What a kick*** program!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Rilla927, Dec 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Folks,

I have been playing with FD for the first time and I'm in awe of this program. It's definately amazing:eek:

Thanks Peter for your help:D

Happy New Year To All Fellow Members & Mods at Wilders.

Have a Safe-N-Happy Holiday
    ;)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It sure is awesome.

Rilla you are most welcome.

Happy New Year to all the "froggie" enthusiasts.

Pete

3. Rilla927

Oh this is so cool:thumb:

I installed two programs on the secondary and done a copy/update to the Primary and viola! The old stuff gone. I have made a archive on the external. I haven't done a copy/update to or from the archive yet.

I ran a off line boot defrag in PD and after 45 minutes it was only at 38%. Does this happen to you?

4. Peter2150

No, that hasn't happened to me. If it persists I'd email Raxco, and ask them.

Pete

5. Rilla927

Okay, thanks Pete! Wiil do.

6. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

I'll sign that. It's quite amazing and it regularly saves me loads & loads of time.
    Best part is that I don't have to call M$ anymore to activate my copy of XP :thumb: :thumb:

Well not really the best part, but you know what I mean :)

7. Rilla927

That's a great way to look at it.

I love this program. This is the best software investment I have made yet.

I feel so much more at ease :thumb:

8. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

That makes all the difference in the world. Just like our vehicles, when something breaks on them and immediately disables that ability to travel, it can make for some pretty anxious moments. Recovery Console is not always the answer and keeping notes on the commands like in DOS on 98se is not something i relish having to do. That's what a computer is supposed to do, but then we're talking about a not so perfect O/S and vulnerabilities by the hundreds, and not just malware/viruses.

I been there with 98SE and now XP Pro. The worse thing i encountered is not been a BSOD but when the Windows system refuses to boot into the GUI or Safe Mode due to an unusual corruption or other nail-chewing event.

It's a relief to possess an ability to turn to these snapshots which in effect keeps a perfect parallel to the state it was taken, preserving everything BEFORE that was working properly.

I got to jump on this bandwagon for sure because nothing is more depressing than having to reload your Windows XP again from the start. Even if it retained all your applications, there is still the matter of changing PATHS to them and removing the old settings to them.

10. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok,

im trying it out......

but why does the snapshot of my computer take 5.02GB ?

acronis does the same job in 1.9GB ?

---------------
    so could someone please give me a reason why i shouldnt use aconis over this :doubt:

i already have the built in dell partition backup but that comes with loads of bloatware, so was looking for a backup in the computer of my own, and as said above, FD is taking a LOT more room on the harddrive.

11. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

There is nothing wrong with using both, many folks do. FirstDefense for instant recovery, Acornis for hard drive failure; the best of both worlds. :cool:

Acadia

12. Rilla927

You should use both. FD is not a replacement for for your imaging program, but it sure will help a long the way most of the time from restoring a image. So you will have two safety nets.

Are you using it on a laptop or desktop with more than one HD?

If you keep a copy archived on a external, another HD, or DVD you can always restore that if something drastic was to ever happen as a last resort.

If you buy this program you won't regret it;)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  13. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

thx for your input guys,

but i dont believe in having something installed if not needed, and acronis only takes up 2gb of my laptop harddrive for a full restoration, which i prefer.

if i had both, 7gb wasted for no reason really.....instead of just 2, see what i mean?

14. Peter2150

If all you need is backup, then you are right, but FDISR will give you capabilities imaging doesn't.

If disk space is really that much of an issue, you might take Acronis off your disk, and just run it from the recovery CD

15. Rilla927

That's what I would have said.

16. Rilla927

FD has flexabilities that a image program doesn't.

If something goes wrong in a snapshot you just do a copy/update from one of the other snaps and that's it. All the wrongs are washed away. So in a way it does have capabilities simialiar to a image program but more flexable at the same time.

As I add more software I do a copy/update. I don't know how often you image your system but FD is always ahead of my image program for the fact of copy/update, it's so much quicker in small increments. Here's another thing, imaging takes much longer than to do a copy/update with FD. So as long as you have a archive that stays up to date with the rest of the snaps you will always be able to recover, except hardware failures.

17. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

With FirstDefense I have 10 different c:drives. I am able to experiment and configure them any way that I want, without fear that my experimenting and weird configurations are gonna kill my poor system: PLAY TIME! :cool:

Acadia

18. Rilla927

What a great piece of mind, ha;)

I have always read that you have ten snaps. Do you copy/update them every day? How does that setup work for you?

I just had to dump the third snap I had because I didn't have enough space on C drive. I know I could put it on another drive. I was just being overly protective in the begining. I do have a archive set a side.

This program is worth it's weight in gold:D

19. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

No, I do not update all ten everyday, usually just one or two (I also have 6 archived Snapshots :D ). I like to keep some of them for a very long time, up to a year. That way, if something bad starts happening to my system, and I suspect it was a download or something that I did a long time ago, I can simply backup my docs, email, and Favorites, retrieve a very old Snapshot, and take it from there, only having to bring my AV and other security signatures up to date. :cool: My ten Snapshots are spread all over the place timewise, so I have many options when restoring. Also, at least two Snapshots I keep simply for experimentation, playing with new software. Space on my hard drive is not a problem for me since I never download video or music.

Acadia

20. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I only have two snap shots. Thank God for FDISR. This morning after downloading an update to one my programs and attempted reboot I had to boot to my copy. My system was locked up. This isn't the first time FDISR saved my butt.

21. Rilla927

Is that not awesome or what!

22. Rilla927

God, you are so right.

I have never used the Recovery Console. You are right, that's what a computer supposed to do.

Yes, I have been there.

I agree 110%.

Boy, you got that right. It's time consuming no matter how you look at it. But, not with FD:D

23. Rilla927

I love stories like this, FD proves itself once again:D

24. Leapfrog Software

Leapfrog Software Leapfrog Management

Hey Rilla927, thanks for your comments. Keep your eyes on these forums for something nifty coming soon!

25. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I'm looking forward to that !!! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.