what a hell APPdefend is INSECURE

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by gangABang, Oct 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gangABang

gangABang Registered Member

download bifrost from ~Snip. No links to possible malware on the forums. see how it restores the service discriptor table to ntoskrnl.exe lol it kicks Process guard and various firewall like zonealarm etc...
    P.S. bypassing is limited to xp systems.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2007
  2. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Hey gangABang, feel free to PM me a link to 'bifrost' and I will test and post results :D

3. xtree

xtree Registered Member

4. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Well, there are also cases of "rogue" security software kicking out others too. Since drivers need to be installed (to obtain ring 0 access) you should get a few warnings from AD on the path this test/malware takes. Once you've gone ring 0 however, anything is possible.

GSS will be updated in the future to tell users if such kernel modifications are made and what you want to do (ie repair), but there is no easy way to stop it as such (besides not running and allowing rootkits.. ;) ).

5. gangABang

no not at all it dont need any driver to install so ad is silent all over the test lol it just goes to ring 0 unhooks all the discriptor table that's why i post here and it is very dangerous although it's for xp systems (most people are on xp).
    it bypasses popular kaspersky antivirus proactive defense i dont know why they not reacted on it still zonealarm too lol it bypasses appdefend easily too.
    http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/2969/kuhookkc4.jpg

Last edited: Oct 17, 2007
  6. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Unless there is a new method I'm unaware of , you either need physical memory access or ring 0 access, both of which AD cover. Which version of AD did you try?

7. gangABang

since i am not computer reverser i dunno how the programmer done it could be other version of physical memory lol i sent you a PM for download. :D

8. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

From the information you posted, that really sounds like access to \Device\PhysicalMemory (requires admin account) to unhook all kernel hooks without loading any driver. However AD should prevent that.

Will be intesresting to heard news from Jason about that.

Regards,
    gkweb.

9. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

10. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

11. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

Well at least you found out the solution :D Crazy how AppDefend did not already cover that though ;|

12. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Yes it is a bit crazy that I missed it. I shocked myself even. :)

It possibly could have been a bit more hidden until the malware started to use it recently, since pretty much every product was vulnerable.

13. AJohn

AJohn Registered Member

So Jason, what are your thoughts on the possibility of even more hidden leaks and the possibility of covering them all?

14. berng

berng Registered Member

Hasn't this thread degenerated into a comparison of different HIPS?

I thought that was not permitted on this forum. I see the mods killing threads often when comparisons are done with Anti Virus products.

15. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Actually, a much more basic rule applies here - that being going off-topic and discussing other products in a dedicated product forum.

This is the Ghost Security AppDefend forum section, and all topics here should be solely about AppDefend. (Oh, there can be the passing note that a feature like some other product would be nice, or similiar, but not a total change to discussing other products capabilities against a certain threat.) This thread was started appropriately with an observation that bifrost was able to get around some AppDefend protections. In post #10, Jason confirmed the issue and stated an update will address this issue.

Post #14 asked about bifrost being tested on other HIPS/sandboxes, and from that point forward, no one even mentioned AppDefend again. So, what needs to be done is a post split, taking all posts from 14 on down, and making them a thread in, let's say "other anti-malware software" under a title like "testing bifrost against various HIPS/sandboxes".

I'll do that a little later...

====================

This has been done - new thread is here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188878

Last edited: Oct 21, 2007
  16. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That will be a lot better.

17. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

We should open a new topic: Bifrost the last dinosaur of a dying quality species.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.