wgatray.exe -question

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by brackt, Sep 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brackt

brackt Registered Member

I don't remember this with vesion 3.4 , but now with 3.410 PG blocks :
    "wgatray.exe was blocked from accessing physical memory " anywhere
    from 60 to 150 times at boot up . PG was in learning mode for aleast 2
    restarts after upgrade . Wgatray.exe is allowed to start . I'm not sure if
    blocking access to physical memory is good or bad in this case . Just hoping
    for a little insight on this . o_O
    Thanks

2. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

What exactly is wgatray.exe? What is its purpose? If you need it then allow it other wise block it, and disable its start up using msconfig, or just find where its referenced as a start up, using msconfig so you know where to go into the registry and delete the value. If its a service then go into administrative tools via the control panel, select services, look for the wga service and set it to manual. WGA.exe kind of sounds like a video driver app which you could easily access another way if you really needed to, instead of having that tray load up in the bottom right of your screen at start up. Give me more info and I'll better explain my answer. :D

3. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Info from WinTasks Process Library
    There are some treads wgatray and Process Guard on Wilders:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=140323
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=136465
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=138477

4. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

Ok Tommy thanks for that information. In my personal opinion I would get rid of the WGA unless you absolutely need it for updating purposes other wise cancel ITS contract. I'm a XP professional user and I dont have WGA I remeber using it a couple of times just to access some stuff on the microsoft website but honestly totally unnecessary :thumbd: I think its just another unecessary process waiting to get exploited....:D

5. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi brackt,

In my tests (with GSS and SSM), blocking physical memory access for wgatray.exe does not break anything. You should also see attempted physical memory access for iexplore.exe when running Windows Update or when you click "Continue" to download some file from Microsoft that requires WGA validation. Blocking these will, at most, freeze IE for a bit.

Nick

Attached Files:

• wga2.gif
      wga2.gif
      File size:
      2.1 KB
      Views:
  6. brackt

brackt Registered Member

The last couple of mornings , on my XP Pro machine , over half the stuff that
    usually loads in the system tray - didn't . Then you can't reboot unless you
    hit the off button . On the second start all the things I expect to load in the
    system tray - do . I pressed allow to the warning "wgatray.exe was blocked from accessing physical memory " maybe this odd system tray problem will
    go away now . ? We'll see . Thanks to all .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.