WGA Removal - slightly different version - gkweb

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by sbm, Aug 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sbm

sbm Registered Member

Hi,
    This post is mainly for gkweb as it regards his WGA Removal tool; but anyone else that is informed is welcomed to join in of course.
    The WGA Validation Tool on my computer--version is 1.5.0530.0 and KB892130--is slightly different than most others, it seems.
    I am attaching a gif screenshot of the wga files I have on my system.
    I would like to completely remove the WGA from my system as it has created disaster--I downloaded Windows XP Service Pack 1 (I did not have the full service pack--only the critical updates) and upon re-boot, the computer would just NOT reboot at all--it would go into an endless loop of trying to logon, unable to log on, with error message (A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error code 0x800700f); and log off, than try to log on, fail, error message above, then log off, etc.
    I was finally able to boot in safe mode after a LONG time, and un-installed the SP1. But all of my restore points werce oddly deleted by this un-install.
    My copy of Win XP Home Edition is perfectly valid (OEM version Sony), with Certificate, etc. and passes the WGA Diagnostic tests and it has been confirmed by Microsoft that it IS valid. Yet, I cannot upgrade to SP1, etc.
    Sony tells me I have to wipe out my system and re-install everything (!) which is out of the question.
    Anyway, this whole issue is created by this WGA Validation Tool on my computer and I want to COMPLETELY REMOVE it. I don't want to do this the wrong way and delete some files but leave others.
    I am not sure that the WGA Removal tool posted by gkweb will address my version of WGA--which is why I am posting here.
    If u r around GKWEB, please help me out with this issue? It is most aggravating.... I do not want this WGA tool preventing me form upgrading and also "phoning" home to Microsoft everytime I boot....
    An added comment is I have read that one can go into registry and set keys donotremove that have a value of 1 to 0, and it will make the WGA Tool un-installable thru Control Panel|Add/Remove Programs; but I am not sure it would just remove from the control panel list only or really remove it from system.
    Thanks for ur help!!!

Attached Files:

2. Devinco

Devinco Registered Member

Welcome to Wilder's sbm!
    While you are waiting for gkweb...

Gkweb's tool is to remove WGA Notifications not WGA Validation. These are two very different things.

3. sbm

sbm Registered Member

u r completely right. I've done even more research on it and even used the WGA Removal Tool; and i do not have the WGA Notification--thank GOD.

I still want to uninstall that WGA Validation Tool version 1.5.0530.0 KB892130--a most invasive malware.

I have found registry keys as included here.

I believe that if I change the values from 1 to 0 in the noremove, and perhaps add a value of 1 in the uninstall key might make it uninstallable.

Haven't done it yet as really not sure what it would cause and I'm a bit wary now not to crash my system; but if u or anyone else know about value in registry keys as above, please let me know.

Attached Files:

4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hello,

Like Devinco said, RemoveWGA is only aimed at WGA Notification, not Validation.

You may want to know that WGA Validation is a required component to update your computer and install Windows updates.

May be the better in your case is to save all your work on an external USB drive for instance, and then reinstall your system.

Regards,
    gkweb.

5. sbm

sbm Registered Member

Tx 4 ur reply.

I have re-covered my system by un-installing SP1. But, of course I would like to be able to re-install SP1 or even perhaps SP2.

Re-doing my system is NOT what I want to do; I have so many programs and customizations that it would be a nightmare remembering all of the ones that are installed; then re-install them-making sure I still had all the registration keys available, etc.

Plus, there really isn't any guarantees that the same problem will not happen again.

A Microsoft technician is telling me:

"Looking at your diagnostics output, your machine is perfectly fine and genuine - you shouldn't experience any issues with it via validation."

Yet, I am experiencing problems due to that WGA Validation Tool.

He also says:

"You're running an OEM SLP type machine, so I do NOT recommend using the product key update tool. As said before, your installation is perfectly genuine and shouldn't have any issues validating.

Yes, I would recommend an update to Service Pack 2 with your installation CD (as it will also over-ride your current installation and repair any damaged files, which may be causing the license reading error with Product Activation)."

I'm still not sure that would fix it. Waiting 4 his reply still.

I'm not that interested in Windows update beyond upgrading to SP1 or SP2. After that, I will probably not upgrade unless it is totally critical--and that is rather rare. And I could always use the automatic updates (from system tray) with "choose which to install" as opposed to "download and install automatically"--and for that, u do not need the WGA Validation Tool (yet).

If I wipe my system, the Validation Tool will be gone.

Isn't it simpler to just get rid of the validation tool? Then I can probably upgrade--not from Microsoft's website--but from systray auto update....?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.