WG usage & version clarification

Discussion in 'WormGuard' started by poogimmal, Jun 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poogimmal

poogimmal Registered Member

Jooskie posted back in Nov2003
    WG4 will have an update system and more options, quicklaunch from the systray etc

1-day user of WormGuard demo, and using registered TDS3 & Port Explorer for longer time. also registered Process Guard (currently uninstalled).

WG seemed to install aok, and I read thru most of the help file. I tested it this morning to make sure is was "active." so far, no WG_popups. I guess if my box is secure, WG will never alert, so in one sense it's a little like the emperor's new clothes. I never see WG, but DCS tells me it is there checking every file that runs. (if I understand info in help). I'm also a tad lost in the versions. it looked like DCS recently published a wish list for WG4, but then the about on the WG demo I have says WG 4.0. I do not find it in systray. install put a copy on desktop and once started, it is somewhere very deep in w2k as it does not show up as a running process, service or autostart, but when I open the desktop icon, and test, it assures me that it is running. if WG is designed as it appears here as "install it and forget it," what's the deal with options and systray, and yadi yadi yadah. am I correct that WG leaves no visible footprint with usual tools? and there's no database to update, right? what is the need for "options" if it runs so deep? if I understand WG's purpose it is to stop a new worm that is not yet in av databases, right? so I should just sit back and relax and register it & forget it until that time I get a WG_popup. appreciate any insights, clarifications and corrections to my understand. thanks!

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, poogimmal

The WG4 is a miss print [bug] You have WG3 like the rest of us sorry to say.

See the [WG Right click function] post, for brief working description.

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. poogimmal

poogimmal Registered Member

yes, I did see the post earlier about right-click, and I see it here so that's another confirmation that WG is running. I scanned a file and no indication that it was scanning. (mini-test timeout) right-click does show up as a running process. not sure right-click info is in the help. I'll look again. ok re About_WG4 misprint. no wonder I was confused.

given the various security apps most people who find their way to this forum are running, I think I'm liking WG as is without options bells and whistles. run in background without slowing down my box, and alert me when necessary.

I have a concern that TDS4 will incorporate some aspect of Process Guard, and PG is the one DCS app that will not run on my box. since not obvious why this problem, I hope I'm not ruled out from upgrading to TDS4 and that TDS3 will continue with support and updates after TDS4 is released.

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, poogimmal

Please read this:- TDS-4 Read here first! [Information]

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.