WEP feedback (wireless routers)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by optigrab, Jun 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Does anyone have any opinion on the following article?

The Myth of Easy WEP cracking

I occasionally (once per month) change my WEP 128bit encryption keys, but to tell the truth it's a pain and I'm under the impression I should do it more often anyway. This article has sort of eased my mind, although I don't know if there are any caveats or "gotchas" that aren't highlighted.

Are there any folks here using W2K that have employed WPA? The last I checked, W2K doesn't support WPA out of the box, and I haven't seen any tutorials or testimonials on folks who have upgraded.

When I consider how many people don't run XP and don't use any of the security features on their wireless routers, I wonder if I am a relatively hard target, or "hard enough", or just kidding myself.

I live in a very old apartment building in a Brooklyn neighborhood.

2. tazdevl

tazdevl Registered Member

Been using WPA for a while now on XP Pro. No issues to speak of. Works fine, given your location I would try to get WPA up and running.

I haven't messed around with Win2K for a while, but given the fact that's it's a corporate standard, I find it difficult to believe that you cannot run WPA on the OS. Besides, depending on your adapter, most of the work is done in the driver and wifi card..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.