went without security software for awhile

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by wutsup, Sep 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

hey wilders,

when i was installing vista, i installed my chipset /network/video/sound drivers first and then i downloaded/installed windows updates and service pack which took forever all while being connected to the internet without any security software. could malware have passed through?

i installed my security software last.

im behind a router though.

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Why do you think anything, as you put it, got through.
    Mrk

3. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    You didn't go surf the web randomly did you?
    Did you download and open up e-mail with attachments?
    Did you go to movie streaming websites and download codecs to watch the latest "free" movies?
    Did you go opening up random old saved word documents and PDF files?

Or...did you just hit the Microsoft Update link and that was the only thing you really did online?

You're behind a router...thus NAT, and by default all 65,000 plus ports are blocking unrequested incoming traffic.

The only files you have coming into your computer are drivers that you probably (hopefully) downloaded ahead of time from the manufacturers website (not some weird looking 3rd party driver collection site filled with poisoned driver packs to download), and the remaining files from Microsofts update server cloud.

4. wutsup

wutsup Registered Member

yea i didnt do anything else but just move all my drivers and programs from my external HD, then i installed my chipset drivers, other drivers etc etc. then i just used windows update from control panel and thats it. and i also clicked on "Find out more" so i could get updates for other microsoft products which opened up internet explorer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.