Welcome message after connecting to WiFi network.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Eagle Creek, Nov 7, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

I just saw this picture:
    sv9b.png

Aside from the rather quite funny messages itself, has anyone ever seen a WiFi welcome message? I didn't even know they excisted. I know about welcome messages in general (like on FTP servers, Windows servers, Cisco routers, etc), but I've never seen one after connecting to a WiFi network.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Never seen it, but then I do not connect to external networks that much.
    Mrk

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I see something similar when traveling, and connecting to a motel/hlteo WiFi: often a "welcome" page loads first.

----
    rich

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

In hotels and airports, the first page to load is usually a standard http page where you confirm this or that, but maybe they serve popups too, which I have never seen yet.
    Mrk

5. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hi Eagle Creek,

That is normal behavior when you log on to a wireless hotspot. The first thing you will see is a webpage where you can enter the ticket that you bought to be able to surf for a certain time. It's a so called ticket system. You will find that in airports or other public places. I've implemented that also on my work, wireless internet with a ticket system with a printed code on. So that after a certain time it's impossible to surf anymore. Some information and here an example and here an example of such system.

Regards,
    Niels

6. Eagle Creek

Hi Niels,

I know about public WiFi where you'll be redirected to a website. For example, it happens when you use T-Mobile hotspots in Dutch Intercity trains. Windows informs you using a tooltip some action is required. When clicking it, it opens the landing page. Using the train hotspot, it tells you what train you are in, time of arrival and user agreements.

However, I've never seen a welcome message inside the operating system. The only thing I saw before, was Windows telling me it needs extra information before connecting to the network. Like this:
    w7al-extra-info[1].jpg
    Additional log on information is required to connect to this network

It's because the service behind the Network Status Icon is trying to both ping Microsoft and reach its website. When it can't reach its website (by DNS), it assumes it's behind some kind of public wifi landing page and shows you this message. (not exactly the same, because the one in the screenshot is for RADIUS authentication, but you get the idea).

However, after connecting to the network, no more information (other than a built-in confirmation) is shown to the user.

So I'm wondering: is this a MacOS only feature, or is this something 99% of network administrators haven't configured, or could we be looking at some weird screenshot from outer space :ninja: ?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  7. Niels

Niels Registered Member

Hello Eagle Creek,

Everyone who tries to log in on the network where I work, needs to authenticate, and you will also see the that information pop-up when you hoover your mouse over the network icon.

That's is because of an extra security layer to be able to surf. The device that I implemented at my work is Vasco's Axsguard which handles as proxy, DNS server, web filter device. Normally you will receive a pop-up where you need to authenticate. In your case with your student credentials. At my work everybody has it's own unique username and password. Nobody can access the internet without authenticating. This is also the case when you want to connect to your school platform.

No, it isn't a Mac OS only function. You will receive that pop-up or webpage in any OS version, when you try to connect to a network wired or wireless.

Regards,
    Niels

8. Eagle Creek

Hi Niels.

I'm afraid you still don't get my point :).

I know the pictures aren't 100% alike. The tooltip balloon in the second picture is used for authentication. However, you get a similar alert when connecting to a public hot spot using landing pages. Since I couldn't find a picture of that exact balloon, I took this one.

The alert in the first picture is generated by a network administrator and is shown inside (as part of) the operation system. It uses an OS pop up to inform the user. The user can't do anything with it, other than agree and close the window.

The second picture is a generic OS alert (nothing done by the network admin), which informs the user of a required action. By clicking it, a website opens which either can inform the user about the network or ask to do something (like buy a ticket, agree to something, etc). This specific picture would open a authentication window, but as said it wasn't the exact picture what I'm looking for.

These are two very different things.

:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.