weird SUPERantispyware situation

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by coldplay, Apr 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

I just downloaded and installed SAS home user version (free) on one of my computers. Somehow, I can check/uncheck SAS pro (paid) options in preference without "you need to buy it" screen.

Well, I can't tell if the real protection is actually working at the moment but I did get rid of the splash screen at the startup and enable the sound alert of its real shield. And I have no idea how this is happening. I am pretty sure I didn't download Pro trial version.

So my questions is : is there a SAFE way to test whether its real protection actually working ?

thank you in advance.

2. fcukdat

fcukdat Registered Member

3. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

My guess is you downloaded the Professional Trial - what does the shortcut icon on the desktop say, Free or Professional?

4. coldplay

coldplay Registered Member

I can't know atm. I also downloaded and installed Prevx1 and this software report my registry item as mal-wares and deleted them caused system crash.
    I am redoing the system now but I am pretty sure it has nothing to do with SAS. It was a Chinese XP system, Prevx1 just did what A2-antimalware did,not running well on Chinese system, but that's another story.

5. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Yes, there is. It is EICAR test file and its purpose is to safely test your anti-virus/anti-malware software. But, SuperAntiSpyware for some reason cannot detect EICAR test file so, in this case, EICAR test file will not be of any help.

6. SUPERAntiSpy

SUPERAntiSpy Developer

We don't detect the EICAR test file as it is not a threat.... :) We can add it in if it makes people feel better.

7. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Of course, but may be it is not bad idea to SAS detect EICAR as test file like some other anti-virus/anti-malware do (something like: Not Malware: EICAR Test File)?

8. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

It won't make me feel better. I actually get a sense of calm with eicar. But thanks for asking Nick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.