Weird Removable Drive Icon for non-existant drive!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by aigle, Jun 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I am observing a strange thing on my Notebook. When I click my computer, I see one extra Removable Drive( F) attached to my PC in addition to my USB flash drive( E). Also sometimes my USB flash frive is labelled as F with this extra drive as H while E missing altogether.
    I am not sure why it is happening like this. This behaviour is not constant, sometimes drives appera just as normal( only E drive with no extra drive Icon).

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. dog

dog Guest

Re: Weired Removable Drive Icon for non-existant drive!

It maybe because you didn't unmount the volume properly when you removed the USB thumb drive and then when you reconnected it, Windows will assign it a new drive letter.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Your key might also show itself as two drives in the case that it has been set up, either by the manufacturer or you, as having 2 partitions, one public and one secure.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I have only one USB drive, which has single partition also. The only issue I can think is the recent installation of GeSWall sandbox.

5. singularity2006

singularity2006 Registered Member

does your laptop have any other removable media drives for memory cards or anything like that?

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

there is media card drve but I never use it and this issue I noticed first time since I am using it( many months).

7. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

aigle-

You might try looking in your device manager. It seems to me there should be some driver or connection with associated hardware. Maybe it's something that you don't use and want to remove. I'm not sure what it would be under. I use external drives, usb memory drives, and Virtual Drives, but they don't show up as a removable drive. I agree with whoever said maybe something happened if you didnot use the safely remove hardware tray icon - BTW does that icon always show up with your try icons (i guess its a prefference). I never use the "show only active icons" because that feature has been nothing but trouble. Apparently XP doesn't know what's running and what isn't.

(you might want to check the "show hidden devices" in Device Manager, just in case)

- HandsOff

8. singularity2006

singularity2006 Registered Member

That spare drive in there looks like it might be your media card. A reason you did not see it before is probably because you did not have the drivers for it properly installed. Yes, no?

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, thanks for the replies. BTW, my assessment is that it was some transient conflict that happened just after install of GeSWall. I restored to my RollBackRx snapshot that was taken just after GeSwall insatllation, then rebooted my system and after that until now I did not see this problem. So I will stop here and restart if it happens again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.