Weird problem with monitor (?)

Discussion in 'hardware' started by newbino, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. newbino

newbino Registered Member

Hi, I hope you could give me some pointers for investigation because I cannot make any sense out of this.
    I usually hybernate my pc but early this week it did not want to boot up at all, so I ended up having to restore an image of my os. I chose an image from a couple of weeks ago when I didn't have the problem, but it manifested again.

Ok, so it's not the OS.

Then I started noticing that the same issue occurred when, due to power saving settings, the pc would go into sleep mode - I deactivated the HD power saving settings.

Next thing - and I am not sure if this was present before, I might have not noticed it. The screen would go black as usual (don't use any screensavers) after my present inactivity period, or I would switch it off if I was going away for more than a few minutes - and when I would try to turn it on I started hearing a clicking sound, somewhat similar to what an LP would make in the old days when after a full turn it would bump again on some dust spec. Uh-oh I went, there is something off with my HD, but a thorough run of HD Tune did not find anything.

I regularly back up my data in any case, so I am not unduly worried.

So now I am at the point were:
    1. I have deactivated my HD power saving options
    2. I have tested the drive and it shows no problems
    3. the OS is reinstalled from a time where everything was running smoothly
    4. I have deactivated hybernation settings
    yet if my monitor goes black due to inactivity, even though I hear the HD spinning there is a problem with switching it on again, I have to press several keys many times before it starts and when it does usually it makes the funny clicking sound until it's fully on again. On occasions I need to reboot the pc and once it asked me to reset my BIOS settings.

I don't have a clue any longer what to do - any suggestions are welcome

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Hi newbino,

We need more details. Is this a desktop? If so, is it a CRT or LCD monitor? How old is the machine? What OS are you using? What is the make model of you PC/monitor? Is the clicking noise coming from your monitor and does it smell funny? Is the power light on the monitor going on and off to the clicking noise. I ask because I had an old CRT monitor that started "clicking" or trying to turn itself on repeatedly, and it also had an electrical smell to it. The noise was more like the sound of the monitor trying to start up or like a tube type t.v. starting up.

3. newbino

Hi innerpeace, this is a desktop. The PC is 6 month old and runs XP SP3, is custom-assembled. The monitor is LCD and its make is Hanns-G. The clicking noise comes from the monitor's speakers, but not from the pc speakers and no, it doesn't smell. The power light on the monitor keeps on blinking green, it's standard behaviour when the monitor is off, until I manage to turn the visualization on when it becomes green full time.

4. innerpeace

Thanks for the extra info newbino. Hopefully others can use it also to help :).

I'm new at this hardware thing, but I'm thinking it could be a hibernation problem period. Not sure what motherboard, graphics card/chip, and sound card/chip you have but look and see if any drivers fix anything similar to what your experiencing.

Did you build your machine? If not, did you reset your BIOS when asked that one time? If your machine is still under warranty contact the builder.

I don't use any power settings myself on this XP SP3 machine so I can't help you there. I usually boot up, play a while and shut my machine down.

5. quintile

quintile Registered Member

6. newbino

I thought so at the beginning, but now that I have disabled that option and rebooted I am still experiencing the issue, so I would discard that hypothesis.

This last time the pc was in sleep mode, awakening it I heard the distinctive Win sound but the screen remained blank with the unsettling broken lp sound, I have found a way to switch it on which is to play with the monitor settings buttons which to me confirms it's definitely the monitor

7. newbino

quintile thanks. In fact it sounds very much like this one from the link you posted:
    I guess I need to look at some repair options, but if anybody has any home-made workarounds I'd be glad to receive suggestions

8. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Did the monitor come with its own drivers, and did you install them? Most monitors will run on windows without installing their own drivers, and many people don't bother, I have been guilty of this myself.

Failing that, I know you said you turned off hibernation, but under "Power" settings in the screensaver tab there is a setting to turn off the monitor after a period of time, try setting that to never if not already there.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  9. quintile

quintile Registered Member

10. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

Things you could try:

If you have another monitor around try using that for a day.

If you have another HDD try using that.

Try only one at a time, to help pinpoint what is wrong.

It may be the Power Supply.

You could try removing the add in components like a graphics card, try using the on board graphics instead.
    It is important to know the wattage draw of your system in relation to your power supply. If you have a power supply that is too small, you will get energy spiking and funny behavior and quite possibly damaged components.
    It's possible the power supply is failing also.

Most motherboards with basic hardware, no add in cards, draw around 200 watts. An add in graphics card can draw 100 watts to 200 watts.
    If you have a 350 watt or 400 watt power supply there isn't much room left.

Food for thought.

11. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

Hi,

Not sure how old your monitor is, but it sounds like an internal relay is going. Probably time for a new monitor. :(

12. newbino

Thanks to all the posters, I have tried most of the above and come to the definite conclusion that it's the monitor. It's 30 months old and I have a 3 year warranty, so today I called Tech Assistance and arranged for a swap with a refurbished one (sweet, they pick up the defective one and simultaneously drop the replacement, they were very understanding).

For reference purposes, here are three links that I found useful.

http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/689465-solved-hanns-g-194d-monitor.html

http://www.fixya.com/support/t1386754-monitor_doesnt_turn_anymore

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/computers/888567

13. innerpeace

Good to hear they treated you well newbino. I hope it fixes the problem for good :).

14. newbino

Just an update,

have had the replacement for a day and everything is running smoothly, confirming the problem was in the monitor.

thanks to all

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.