weird kind of virus

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by xAustinx, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xAustinx

xAustinx Guest

My friend just told me somewhere there is a virus that multiplies the voltage of the cpu by like 10 times so ur pc crashes and becomes unusable ever again automatically and that it installs some kind of driver to do it. Is this real or one of those computer myths? Because I would have thought in order to change the voltage going round your cpu you would have to physically do something to the pc?

anyone heard of this or is it one of those scare mongering myth things?

xAustinx

2. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

HI, while i dont know of any viruses that can damage hardware, it may be possible, ie voltage changes etc.

I have heard of an LCD screen that was damaged by somthing, it was a high end model with 2mb of ram, when sent back to the factory the firmware was scrambled. This was just a story told to me by a co-worker, an wasnt ever prooved to be a virus.

If you would like to learn more about virus type/behaviour HERE is a page with some useful info.

3. donlon

donlon Registered Member

4. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi, very interesting post, thanks for pointing this out.
    i hope this Virus does not appear again, as it seems the majority of AV's (Nod32, Kaspersky,etc) do not detect it.

Info HERE

5. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

Nah, all good AV detect the CIH virus. it's quite old and was ITW, so, most AV including KAV and NOD32 detect this virus without problems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.