Weird issue with updating Fedora

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by vei9, Mar 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vei9

vei9 Registered Member

I installed Fedora from a CD that came with a book, so naturally it needs updating to the most recent version. I think -- but I'm not sure -- that I'm at Fedora 13 right now.

I believe Fedora 17, Beefy Miracle, is the latest release, and I've tried to upgrade directly to 17 from 13. However, it doesn't work. Not only can I not upgrade to 17, the lower-numbered ones won't install, either.

I get an error message saying there is not enough disk space, although this is an 80GB hard drive. I have NO experience partitioning drives through linux but when I look at my disk manager, it appears I have one itty bitty partition of about 400-500 MB, in addition to the larger 80 GB partition.

I think it's trying to install the upgrades in this litte tiny partition but I guess I won't know until I increase the size of the partition (which I'm not familiar with doing).

Has anybody got any advice on this weird issue? THANKS in advance!

2. fblais

fblais Registered Member

Open a terminal, and try "sudo yum upgrade".
    Your root password will be asked to execute the command.

3. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

Don't try to upgrade, Fedora 13 is released in 2010.
    You can save yourself some serious migraine by downloading a current release or, if downloading is not an option: grab a recent linux magazine with CD included.

Enjoy reading your book!

4. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

fedora always messy in updating due to Selinux ....etc fresh install always good in fedora case in case you want LTS distro switch to centos Scientific linux(redhat base) or fuduntu (which is fedora 14 rolling )

or try fedora new distro 18 if you like it install it or switch to others fedora like distro

5. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Is your smaller partition mounted as /boot ?

It could be you have run out of space to put the newer kernel on (which gets installed to /boot).

I don't think Fedora even supports upgrading from anything but the previous version.

Cheers, Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.