Weird issue with HDD connected via Sabrent USB-DSC5

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Mr.X, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

If I plug in a SATA HDD via adapter cable Sabrent USB-DSC5, a "Healthy RAW partition" is displayed:

USB-DSC5.png

Now, if I connect the HDD using internal SATA ports, then it shows a normal partitioning:

INTERNAL.png

The adapter is new and when I contacted the manufacturer they told me it was my HDD not compatible with the adapter. This sounds very stupid and really unbelievable cause I tested with two other drives and same issue.

Strangely if I use a IDE HDD (old one) there's no issues at all. It can be seen either via internal IDE connector or the Sabrent adapter.

Conversely and even more strange is when I plug in the HDD and format it via the Sabrent adapter, it shows the right partitioning but when I plug the HDD into the internal SATA connectors it shows as RAW.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. Robin A.

Robin A. Registered Member

I think there is some problem with the adapter, which seems not to be a recent design. I´d try with a newer, USB 3.0-compatible one.

SATA-USB adapters are inexpensive and very useful when they work well. But they are somewhat fragile, in my experience. I don´t expect them to last much time. And sometimes there are compatibility issues with the SATA-USB chip.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Yeah, I'm afraid the culprit is the adapter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.