Weird behaviour on Yahoo Messenger and Yahoo Mail.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Mike Goodfellow, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike Goodfellow

Mike Goodfellow Registered Member

Dear Forum Members

I have been using the ymsgr 1254.exe version of Yahoo Messenger without trouble for a long time until about ten days ago when I found that attempts to:

1. access Help in the Login window of Yahoo Messenger were met with the message: http://us.rd.yahoo.com/messenger/client/?http://help.yahoo.com/help/mesg/use followed by "Application not found OK".

2. access to Create/Edit My Profile via Login\Myprofile were met by a message approximately 400 characters long, beginning http://msg.edit.yahoo.com/config/reset/cookies_?&.y=Y=v=1&n=........ and ending "...3amessenger.yahoo.com/1%26.1=buckball_c60_2003" "Application not found OK"

3. access an e-mail message by clicking on a message alert on opening up Messenger resulted in another "http://....." address followed by "Application not found OK".

In addition, when I put a Yahoo Mail shortcut icon on the Desktop and then attempted to go directly to Yahoo Mail by clicking on it, I got the message: "File: login?rand=dfp2bl31ros81 To open this file this file Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can.....OK". The only way I can open up Yahoo Mail is via Internet Explorer and then either clicking on Yahoo UK & Ireland which I have downloaded into my Favourites folder, and then clicking on the Mail link, or else clicking on the Yahoo Mail link from the Yahoo Toolbar.

To remedy the above faults, I tried uninstalling and then re-installing ymsgr 1254.exe. The problems remained. I then uninstalled ymsgr 1254.exe and installed ymsgr 1333.exe in its place. To my great surprise, the problems had still not been cleared.

When I accessed Yahoo Messenger (ymsgr 1254.exe version) in a public library computer, I found all systems working normally. So the cause of the problem has something to do with my computer.

It had obviously occurred to me that there might have been a virus on the computer, but a scan by Norton Antivirus drew a complete blank. Also, the computer is well protected against intrusion with Norton Internet 2005, Spyblaster, Spybot, Ad-Aware, XP Service Pack 2; and everything else on the computer (with XP Home edition) is behaving normally, as are all other facilities in the Messenger and Mail programs.

So what is going on? Can anyone give me an explanation? Is there anything I can do to return the Messenger and Mail programs to fully-functioning normality?

Your comments and help would be appreciated.

Mike

2. Dan Perez

Dan Perez Retired Moderator

Hi Mike,

As I do not use Yahoo Messenger app I cannot really guide you as well as I would like but, given that all errors are associate with URLs and that the error persists even after returning to the earlier version, I would recommend that you clear all your temporary Internet files / cache and see if this helps.

3. Mike Goodfellow

Mike Goodfellow Registered Member

Hi, Perez

I was advised that the problems with Yahoo Messenger were caused by corruption of the browser association, and that it could be repaired by resetting the Web Settings in the Programs tab of Internet Options. Not only did resetting the Web Settings cure the problem but there was also a very noticeable improvement in the speed with which internet sites opened up.

So everything is now back to fully-functioning normality.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.