Weekly Virus Scan

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by huangzhengliang, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. huangzhengliang

huangzhengliang Registered Member

Hey.
    I am just about to install NOD32 onto my uncle's computer. I asked him what day and time is usually uses his computer the most during the week and he says there's none. He uses it randomly unlike me n bro. So I am wondering whether it is safe to not do any weekly scans? Can he just rely on AMON? Or can I choose weekly and have every day of the week ticked?
    Also, the totally silent scan in BS settings (https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=833167#post833167). I and my bro currently use the scan mentioned in the previous page (page 4) to the link mentioned above. Is it to use both scans or just one and the totally silent scan is for those who are liekly to close open appplications?
    Thx.

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes,he can rely on AMON but the on-demand scan is just one more step of protection .

No , don't tick all days of the week , it would be a total overkill .

Just use one of the scan types (they does the same , scan the whole machine) but one is visible , the other is invisible .

There are two choices in this case . Configure scheduled on-demand scan (visible) for some time . When this scan starts your uncle will notice it starts . If the PC is off , it will start when it starts

The other option , better in my opinion , is not to schedule any scan because he doesn't use the computer all the time (and starting the pc and starting a scan at the same may not be useful sometimes) . Just configure NOD32's on-demand scanner for everything and teach him how to manually perform scans . So he can do it manually (once or twice a month) and I'm sure it will be a fast scan :)

3. huangzhengliang

The thing is he doesn't want any interaction with NOD32. He only goes onto the computer to chat and browse the net. When I say chat, it includes games and all in this program called QQ which is very popular among those in China.
    When you said the computer is off when a scheduled scan is meant to be completed, the scan will immediately start after startup? If so, what is the following option for? https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=907614&postcount=105
    Thx.

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

5. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Well , there is no software that requires absolutely NO interaction . Even in corporate environments where the employees don't work with the program , the admins work with them . Yes , NOD32 can be made automated but completely no intervention is non-existing .

It's up-to-you , just decice yourself when it is most appropriate for him to have a scan :)

6. huangzhengliang

OK. I set it to weekly Friday 8PM and if the scan doesn't run at the scheduled time, it will run immediately after 24 hours. If that is still not possible, then the scan will run immediately when the computer starts up the next time. Right?

Also, somewhere in setup, you can't do anything about infected operating memory, can you?

Another thing. I deliberately made a mistake in entering the password when installing NOD32 but when I restarted uncle' comp, NOD32 still updated so that it was up-to-date...
    I was told that wrong username and/or password will still allow you to check whether or not there are updates as this doesn't require authentication but downloading updates does so it should not have allowed updating to take place.

Thx.

7. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Yes , it will .

No , you can't do anything with infected file in memory . However when NOD32 finds an infected file (running) it will offer you to delete the file on reboot and next time you restart the infected will be gone :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.