Webroot Spysweeper 3.5 and 4.0 Comparison

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Hard Rocker, May 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hard Rocker

Hard Rocker Registered Member

Re: Webroot Spysweeper 4.0 and ProcessGuard

Hi, :D Slightly off topic ...... I realize, but since you pretty much had your question answered ...... what are the differences between SS 3.5 and the SS 4.0 version ? I am a registered user of the 3.5 & although I have been offered the chance to test the 4.0 I felt it was a bit too soon. :doubt:

HR :cool:

2. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

The biggest difference is that V4 does not work properly.
    - Cannot handle very large HOSTS files
    - Triples the memory usage of every module in memory when you do a sweep of memory (the first time after a boot).

I'd recommend holding off for a bit. I know Webroot is working on the above issues.

Incidentally, V4.0.1.323 is NOT Beta...it is the official first public version release.

3. SSK

SSK Registered Member

v4 also has support for limited user accounts.
    And uses less memory the v3.5 (for me :) )

Last edited: May 17, 2005
  4. Hard Rocker

Hey, :D

Good to know siliconman ....... I thought V4 was indeed a Beta version. Glad that I held off. :eek:

Interesting SSK ..... as well, I'm always vewy, vewy quiwet when I'm hunting twojans ! :D

And when I say whoa camel ........ I MEAN WHOA !!!
    Dragons is ...... sooooooooo stupid .... lol. ;)

Thanx Guys,

5. siliconman01

Build 331 now appears to be the latest build as of this AM (17-May-05). However, this new build does not correct the HOSTS file or memory usage problem.

6. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

Proces private bytes: 8 Mb (WRSSSDK.exe)
    SpySweeper.exe: 4.7 MB
    So for me that's not bad at all.

No probs with hosts, but I only use MVPS.

Regards,

Gerard

7. muf

muf Registered Member

I've upgraded to v4 and currently i'm a lot happier. [sarcasm]I'm using the totally stable and reliable Windows ME[/sarcasm] and v4 is running much much faster and sweeter. v3.5 used to take nearly 1 minute for the GUI to appear after starting the application. Then it would take a similar amount of time for the sweep to begin after initialising it. This new version has the GUI open in 5 seconds and the sweep starts in the same amount of time. Certainly fixed something. :D

I just started it and the ram useage on my system is as follows:
    WRSSSDK.EXE = 9.8mb
    SPYSWEEPER.EXE = 11.9mb

This is lower than the previous version which used to use 26mb.

muf

8. siliconman01

The problem with memory usage is that when you do the first sweep after a reboot and if you have the Memory sweep active, every program in memory including WRSSSDK.exe and Spy Sweeper will more that triple in size (memory usage) as SS scans each module. I loose 250 mbytes of physical memory on the first sweep. Rebooting the computer puts everything back to normal...until the next SS sweep. I can activate Task Manager, select Performance and what the available Physical memory take a nose dive.

9. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It has been a lot easier on resources for me as well. The GUI looks a little better, but still looks a bit like a newbie with photoshop filters designed it (there are worse things in life, though :D ) I'm sure there are less obvious internal changes as well.

10. feddup

feddup Registered Member

Does anyone know what size hosts file causes spysweeper 4.0 issues. I tried and removed 4.0 beta because it kept giving me a "spysweeper installation is damaged please reinstall" message. I believe after reading some similar posts that this was caused by my 1.24 mb hosts file. I've downloaded the 4.0 final but would like to solve this mystery prior to installation. I like and respect spysweeper but not so much that I might disregard the hosts file completely. Any insight would be appreciatted.

11. siliconman01

The 1.24 mbyte HOSTS file won't work. I am using the MVPs HOSTS file which is only about 10000 entries at 263 kbytes and it works okay in V4.

12. feddup

feddup Registered Member

Thanks for the info. I might try to choose a smaller hosts file. I generally gave up using spy sweeper in real time for several reasons but still got the "installation damaged" message when I started the program for "on demand" use. Still using 3.5 for the moment.

13. controler

controler Guest

According to an e-mail I received this week,Spysweeper 4.0 has been released.

controler

14. siliconman01

Yes, V4.0.1.331 is the latest public release.

15. manOFpeace

manOFpeace Registered Member

Likewise. Beta wouldn't work properly, return to V3.5.
    Latest release full version don't work, damaged installation, back to V3.5. :'(

16. siliconman01

Here is Webroot's response to a support ticket on the issue of large HOSTS files. Not very encouraging for the immediate time period. :mad:

"Solved:
    (5/17/2005 12:47 PM MDT) Spy Sweeper will have issues with any host file containing more than 1000 entries. Having 39000 entries in your host file will cause this to happen. I apologize for this inconvenience. We are looking to correct this in a future release of the program.

Thank you for your assistance and information in this matter."

17. Hard Rocker

:D Hi, & thanks again guys ......... Looks like it will take a bit more time before 4.0 is functioning as it should be. :(

I have also noticed that 4.0 has not been offered at the Webroot Site for the last few days ....... once again !! :rolleyes:

18. feddup

feddup Registered Member

thanks for all the input. I guess I'll just have to wait and see if webroot solves the hosts issue.

19. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

How to you get 3.5 back? I talked to Tech. Support and they sent me a key code, but it was for 4.0. There were no other options.

20. Hard Rocker

:D Hi G1111,

You don't specify if you are a registered SpySweeper user or not. o_O

If indeed you are ....... call them again & specify you are NOT happy with 4.0 & want the 3.5 version until all the problems with 4.0 are resolved.

Although I am very satisfied with SS 3.5 ...... on the 2 occasions I had to deal with their tech support & customer service departments I must say I was NOT very impressed !! :(

Good Luck,

21. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Hard Rocker - Yes I am a registered user, thats why they gave me the key code for the "fixed" version of 4.0 but it still has bugs. I will call them and request 3.5 back.

Thanks for the response. It would be nice if there was a Webroot forum.

22. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

You mean this isn't? :D

Seriously, I've visited other forums where reviews on Spy Sweeper were somewhat mixed, but they're almost always unanymously favorable here.....so I was actually kind of under the impression that this WAS a Webroot forum!

23. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

JRCATES - Could be.

24. siliconman01

25. Hard Rocker

;) Nice link Siliconman ..... had not been to the Trojan Hunter Forum in a while. I just purchased the program a couple of weeks ago.

I'll be sticking with SS V: 3.5 ...... for now, anyway ! :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.