Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.3 and Vista

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Escalader, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

For the record I use Webroot Spy Sweeper 5.3.

FYI, on their alert page for general information they have posted the following:

"Important Update: Spy Sweeper® with AntiVirus is now compatible with Windows Vista

Webroot® Software Inc. has released Spy Sweeper with AntiVirus version 5.3, this new version has been optimized to improve performance and is compatible with Microsoft’s new operating system, Windows Vista™ (version 5.3 continues to support Windows 2000 and XP). To receive your FREE upgrade, click "Check for Updates" on the home screen of Spy Sweeper."

Having found a RK in SM7 recently, (I reverted to SM6), I ran 3 rootkit finders on to see if SS, uses RK's. Results were:

1) BD 10 reported no root kits
    2) F-Secures BlackLight, reported no rootkits
    3) RKU found things on BD 10 and ZA Pro with hooked and hidden processes plus a bunch of other entries which I can't decode, so I'll submit them to the official RKU forum for study. Since some of those MAY relate to SS.

What I would like to better understand at some point is there ever a valid technical reason for using RK's hooks, and / or hidden processes?

Does anybody know the answer to this?:doubt:

2. fax

fax Registered Member

Hi!
    Most security tools have "RK type" of technology (e.g. SS, ZA, TH, etc..) to hardening their defence and to defend themselves from malware and tampering activities.

I have never tried SM7 and SM6 didn't last long on my PC... messed up my registry more than once. I presume that SM7 as another all-in-one security product implement RK technology to better defend itself.

Why are you worried about RK? There is nothing wrong with it if properly implemented...

Cheers,
    Fax

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

"SM" what in the Blue F*** is "SM" it sounds like some Bondage thing :blink:

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

system mechanic maybe?

5. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, SM = Systems Mechanic by iolo technologies.

Has 2 incarnations V6 and V7. Found that V7 when I ran my rootkit hunters after installing that a rootkit was present. Disabled it and uninstalled V7.

Reverted to V6, no rootkit.
    Re-installed V7 from scratch, re updated it no rootkit detected.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.