webapps

Discussion in 'mobile device security' started by RockLobster, Jul 22, 2017.

1. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

Anyone using this webapps on their phone?
    It is open source on f-droid. I installed it the other day to see what it does. I thought it had something to do with phone apps but it seems to be a sandboxed web browser of sorts that treats websites as though they are an app. I entered wilders into it and it made a wilders icon in my phone apps. This opens wilders in the sandbox. I don't know how secure it is though.

2. RockLobster

I left the Wilders app webapps created, loaded in webapps all night with network monitor running to keep tabs on it.
    Webapps was very well behaved.
    Network monitor only recorded one connection made by webapps and it was to wilders security forums.
    Next I'm going to try the same thing with a known badly behaved site that makes connections to multiple ad and tracking servers. Probably youtube. This time I will also open the same site in a regular browser at the same time.
    Network monitor will keep tabs on both so we can compare the difference.

3. RockLobster

Well, if anyone is interested I think this is a good app. I used YouTube as a test site, in a regular browser it opened connections to several third party sites as you might expect, doubleclick.net, Google.com etc
    As an app in webapps the only connection made was the one to YouTube.com
    Also worth noting, you can click a button on the webapps interface and it will list all the third party domains it blocked, with the option to unblock any you might want to allow.
    Like I mentioned earlier you can make any website be an app in webapps.

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Latest Android version I have is many moons old. I Googled what & where is this webapps?

5. RockLobster

You can find it at the f-droid repository, https://f-droid.org/

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.