Web Redirection

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by WilliamP, Mar 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

My son has XP up to date. He just started having the problem of being redirected when he searches on the web. He has Avira AV and his windows is up to date. He is using FireFox. I had him run Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware and Hijackthis. He has even tried scans in safe mode. What could be causing the redirect?

2. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

3. WilliamP

He ran the Kaspersky scan and it found nothing. I don't understand why nothing can be found. When he tries to do a search he is redirected.

4. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Could be a bad Host file - try rename C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\HOSTS to HOSTS2
    Restart your browser - any help?

If not, a trojan might have changed your DNS to a malicious one - try to change your DNS to OpenDNS's server. See here for instructions.

If that doesn't help, do you have the same problem in InternetExplorer?

5. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

A good question I think should be asked, is where is he getting redirected to? Also, which service does he use to search (we can't just assume Google)? What new programs if any are installed? Is there anything there he doesn't remember installing?

6. webster

webster Registered Member

7. WilliamP

The last information I have ,he updated SAS and ran another scan. This time it found some things and now the redirection has stopped. Thank you all for the help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.