Web page sizes.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by twodogs44, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twodogs44

twodogs44 Registered Member

Why do all the web sites I visit have different size pages? Is there anyway to fix this problem?

Dave aka twodogs44

Last edited: Mar 22, 2010
  2. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

It's not a problem. It's a decision that has taken the creator or webmaster of the site. Sites' layouts can be fixed or elastic. Sites with fixed widths have fixed size and you cannot change this element. Elastic layouts try to use the whole space available by your browser's window.

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

I use Firefox and every web page is always the same size. Maybe I'm not following what you mean exactly. :D

4. mvario

mvario Registered Member

I have not used it myself, but some folks I know who have similar complaints swear by Stylish (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2108), a Firefox addon that lets you customize the way a website looks. I've heard it described as "Greasemonkey for CSS".

5. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  6. twodogs44

Each page will be a different size. Some will fill my screen from one side to the other and other pages it is required to use the Slider Bar at the bottom. This makes it slower if you are looking at a lot of pages on one site and each time you change you need to slide back and forth in order to see what you are looking for.

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Give a site example (or two) and your screen resolution. You might include browser preference along with version.

8. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

twodogs44, I thought maybe that's what you were talking about but wasn't sure.

I've experienced that before and it is indeed annoying; however, it hasn't happened to me in ages with Firefox.

9. 1boss1

1boss1 Registered Member

Are you still using 800x600 resolution? If so then yes, many sites now design for 1024x768 res displays as the minimum so you may wind up with a horizontal scroller.

There's not much you can do about it besides treat yourself to a nice 24" panel running upwards of 1,900px :D

10. twodogs44

I did change the resolution and it changed the fact that I no longer have a web page size problem.

Thanks everyone.

Dave aka twodogs44

11. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

You should always keep your CRT monitor or LCD monitor at its default or recommended resolution. Selecting any other resolution may be harmful to the monitor and will cause you severe eye strain. If your monitor's default resolution is low, it is time to upgrade to a higher resolution monitor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.