Web Camera`s

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by John Bull, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

Apologies if this question is old hat, but I recently had my interest provoked and would love to hear the comments of Forum veterans on this subject.

I have done a little look-up on the web to see what exactly these Web Camera`s are and do, but did not find anything describing HOW they function, i.e The sequence of actions needed to actually make contact.

My example is that of a "visual" telephone, but I cannot see their use being at all equivalent and to be honest it seems bordering on useless to Mr.Average.

We all know the telephone - you dial, it rings, somebody answers and you speak. No answer, ring back later. I do not see this ultra-simplicity with the Web Camera. For people at work, logged on 8 hours per day - great - no problem, but for normal people it looks totally impractical - hit or miss - 99% miss most likely for random users in different time zones.

Would somebody please explain how this Web Camera system is used in practice as a genuine useful facility instead of being just plaything of the month ?

They are quite inexpensive in the UK, a good average camera only costs around $45.
    Many thanks
    John Bull

2. mvario

mvario Registered Member

Read this:

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Find-Hidden-Webcams-on-the-Internet---For-Free

Generally the interface for a stand-alone webcam is a built-in webpage. If you know the IP address of the camera (and optionally the password if it is so configured) then the image (either streaming video or stills that are auto-refreshed) is viewable on your browser.

With some of the more elaborate cameras, you get an interface to control zoom, pan, tilt, and other functions. Some also stream audio.

3. John Bull

John Bull Registered Member

As usual my friend, you have probably answered my question - a Webcam is of no practical use but a very nice plaything.

When Webcams become as convenient and simple to use as telephones, I will take an interest, until that day arrives, then to me they are just a piece of interesting junk.

My opinion ?
    The subject is too ridiculous for further comment, it will never happen, live Webcam conversations are a big NO-NO without the organisation facilities of a mega company. Do you believe the Moon is made of cheese ? I don`t.

Ordinary web punters - forget it fast and find something else more interesting to play with.

Again, thanks Mvario for your response.
    Re, the Sandboxie, I am doing what you said and checking out the compatibility of Comodo IS and AVG.
    John Bull

4. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I use a webcam to have free video conversations with my son who is away at school. We use skype or AIM. It is straightforward to use and has been a wonderful way to stay in touch with him. We talk for hours on end - and it is especially nice to be able to see him.

I would pay anything to use this service - it just so happens that it is free. It doesn't get any better than that. :cool:

5. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

I currently live between NY and and Kolkata, my wife is in Philippines running restaurants, my newhew and brother lives in Germany, this so called toy lets me stay in touch and see them daily via Skype, every day for me is valuable as it maybe my last so I for one appreiciate these cheap little toys and also thank Skype and other IMs from heart to let me stay connected, see and hear them as well. My wife's daily routine is to see her precious babies, our four dogs who are all over fifteen, oldest being seventeen, probably on her last breath, if there was no webcam, this wouldn't have been possible.

6. mvario

mvario Registered Member

Nah, I think I gave a bad answer. I kind of misread your question and thought you were talking about general stand-alone webcams, but I get the idea now you were talking about the cameras built in to, or attached to a laptop or home PC.

That being the case... As others have mentioned their main use is video conferencing / video messaging.

There have been some interesting types of security apps that have been developed to use them. There are a few that do motion detection. Others that attempt facial recognition. There was one that would detect if there was someone looking over your shoulder.

Then of course the case of the built-in cameras on the laptops issued by the Harriton High School that has been in the news lately, where the camera can be accessed remotely and surreptitiously.

7. jpcummins

jpcummins Registered Member

Please excuse my ignorance as I have no experience with a web cam nor do any of my friends. I do have, however, friends living in another state. It would be enjoyable to be able to see them as we talk. What if anything else is needed to accomplish this besides a web cam and software? I would imagine that the web cams could be different but that the software would have to be the same am I correct in my assumption? Additionally, what software would you recommend as well as what web camera would you suggest? Last but not least do you recommend a microphone or a web camera with built in microphone and speaker if in fact they are made? As I said I am completely ignorant about web cams and hope you understand what I am asking. As always I would appreciate all replies and would thank you in advance.

John

8. LenC

LenC Registered Member

You both need webcams - they don't have to be the same make or model.

You both need broadband.

You both have to use the same software and have an account - AIM or Skype or MSN (I'm sure there are others) and you're good to go.

I use AIM, but I suspect Skype is equally good.

Yes, I have a webcam with a built in microphone - it seemed like the easiest way to do it.

9. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

Skype has the best quality of all, for video and audio, there is no equivalent. To get best quality out of skype, you need to open one port up, it uses the same tech used in P2P file sharing apps so needs an open port in your router and system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.