Web Access protection blocking legitimate sites

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by cgeek, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

I've been having problems today trying to connect to these two sites and have been trying to figure out if it was a host file issue or Eset. Well I have narrowed the issue down to Eset's Web Access protection module blocking these site without any warning. Included screen caps of the module enabled and disabled.

Enabled
    enabled.jpg

Disabled
    disabled.jpg

-http://www.vpforums.org-
    -http://www.transmissionbt.com-

Regards,
    Cgeek

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

both sites work here with all modules enabled.

3. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Ok, it seems I have found out what the problem is. IE9 & FF6 with active protection mode selected is the culprit. With passive protection it works fine.

4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Yes that must be it. Using active mode may decrease the compatibility. Though I am using it without any issues.

Because the image in the first screenie is not how the ESET block page would look like. :)

5. Somersett

Somersett Registered Member

cgeek,

I disabled Web Protection and it made no difference. I was able to access every heading in the Sports Section of the BBC Website with the exception of Football and Tennis ( Internet Explorer Cannot Display The Webpage.) I then selected Web Access Protection>Configure>Web Access Protection>HTTP, HTTPS>Active Mode and ticked Active Mode for C:\ProgramFiles\InternetExplorer\iexplore.exe and I am now able to access the Football and Tennis pages. It seems strange that in my case, of the fourteen pages from Football through to Other Sport, fourteen of them are accessible in passive mode while two of them can only be accessed in Active Mode. Can anyone throw any light on the issue?

I uninstalled Eset Smart Security 5 and reinstalled same prior to carrying out the above. No changes made to default installation. Firewall and Hips in Automatic Filtering Mode/Automatic Mode With Rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.