"We Serve It Your Way"

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by moontan, Jan 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moontan

moontan Registered Member

data tracking and user profiling from Google and others do not only introduces problems with anonymity and privacy, they can also filter out important informations that you might not want to miss.

i thought this was the most appropriate forum to post this.
    i also think it is important enough that everyone should watch it

-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOE1HFEL8XA-

2. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Is the link okay?

3. moontan

should be, was ok on my machine.

get rid of the - on each side of the link

4. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

"It shows us what it wants us to see" Well, not really. It shows us what it thinks we want to see. It's a fairly big difference. It's not trying to force an agenda on us, if that were teh case we'd all have conforming results that hide bits about the government or whoever's agenda is being pushed. Instead Google/ Facebook try to guess the users' individual agendas.

It's interesting though the implications of this kind of technology. It's so seamless I don't think most people realize that when they search for one thing they might get vacation spots and when another person searches the exact same thing they get news articles.

I get the idea of a filter bubble - I think that's dangerous. The problem I see is that I share links with people all of the time via IM etc. Until my IM clients start saying "Hey, that message was boring I'm gonna drop it" my friends and I will continue to share links we come across.

In fact, this topic is a fair example of that. Your searches may have resulted in you finding that particular video and at that point it was in your "bubble" but just now you posted it on a public forum and suddenly your bubble and my bubble collide and I've got something that wouldn't have been in my "filter bubble" before hand.

I think it's a scary idea I just don't personally see it in my life since I have friends who are so incredibly different from me who share links with me. It's more like a collective bubble, which is kinda scary too I suppose.

In short, it's a scary idea, but the "flows of information" are not so easily controlled.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  6. Spooony

Spooony Registered Member

Google scans your emails then throws adds in your face.

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Uhhh. What's your point? lol

8. moontan

i use to question folks here about the usefulness and importance of privacy and anonymity.

not anymore, the issues addressed in the video was enough for me to completely change my views on the subject.

i have now taken all necessary steps to protect my personal data.

9. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I've never trusted Google enough to use any of their other services. The only service of theirs I'll use is their search, either through Tor or an offshore proxy depending on the search topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.