WD1002FAEX to replace WDC WD1600AAJB-00J3A0

Discussion in 'Paragon Drive Backup Product Line' started by Fiery_WA, Jun 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiery_WA

Fiery_WA Registered Member

Gday

I am looking at replacing my WD1600AAJB-00J3A0 IDE with a WD1002FAEX, purely for extra hard drive space (there is nothing wrong with the WD1600AAJB-00J3A0 IDE). This is also my boot up drive.

I also have a WD10EARS in my desktop for storage.

I know with the old IDE I had to set up masters and slaves, however I have never had two SATA internal hard drives.

Do I need to set up a RAID array?

What I want to do is with the new hard drive is clone my current WD1600AAJB-00J3A0 IDE, using Paragon to the WD1002FAEX then use the new hard drive to boot off, and then have the current SATA (storage), then turn my IDE into a storage drive also.

Mobo is a Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P

Last edited: Jun 28, 2011
  2. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

There is no master, slave nonsense in SATA, you just plug each drive into its own SATA port on the motherboard. You will have to make sure that the boot order is correct so the desired disk is selected for booting first.

RAID is not necessary unless you want to make a RAID array.

When you do your clone you shouldn't boot up the machine with both drives attached. Windows may see them both with identical information and get confused. After cloning, shutdown the machine and unplug the old drive and then boot the PC. Once the new drive has been successfully booted up the old drive can be reconnected.

I'm a new Paragon user so I can give you the above general info but I can't provide much assistance with Paragon cloning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.