WD 160GB installed on laptop now what

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by photogeniie, Aug 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. photogeniie

photogeniie Registered Member

WD drive G shows on My Computer. Folders on drive are Acrobat, Google, WD and WD software installer. What is the software that will be installed and do I need it to use this HD for backups only? What is Picasis2? Can I create a folder "backup" and direct all backups and incrementals to that folder? I have not installed Acronis TI 10 yet because I am trying to become familiar with the new HD. Also, I do not like to keep software on any drive that I am not likely to use.

Sorry to be such a dumbie but the last time I did backups was in DOS from the c prompt using those little floppy drives.

I will appreciate any and all help.

Bev

2. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

1. There is no software on the external 160 that is required for your use.
    2. There may be some disk diagnostics on the drive for your optional use.
    3. Picasis2 is for picture editing/modification. I believe it is free and from Google. Was this included with your external hard drive?
    4. A folder for your backups will do fine, except create a new sub folder for each new backups. Keep all incrementals or differentials with the original backups. I use date of beginning backup as sub-folder "Acronis-Aug 28", etc

3. photogeniie

Google Desktop Search and Picasis2 were included with the WD. I have found both in add/remove programs. Since I use PhotoShop CS3, I will remove Picasis2. If I don't need Google Desktop Search, I will add/remove it as well. I will setup a new folder naming it to include the backup date as you have suggested. Thank you for that suggestion.

I had not planned to partition the EHD but should I ever choose to partition another EHD, can it be done through system tools in Windows?

So, I guess I am ready to install Acronis TI 10, setup the first folder on WD and get started.

Do you have any further suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Bev

4. GroverH

5. photogeniie

Grover H, thanks again for your reply. I am nervous about installing Acronis TI 10 but I will do it. Do I need to create a bootable disk. I ask because in reading some info on TI 10, I thought I had read that with this version it is not necessary to create a bootable disk.

If I do need to create one, this link Mudcrab's Acronis Bootable USB Hard disk How To Guide talks about using a flash drive. I guess I was think incorrectly when as I read various instrustions, I thought the bootable disk could be made on a DVD. So if I need to purchase a flash disc, how large and can I use it in my four slot card reader? Since I have never used a flash disk, is there usually a direct connection on my Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop?

Bev

6. GroverH

Not much time right now. Creating the bootable Rescue CD is an absolute must. It should be created as one of your first duties following installation. All you need is a blank CD-R. Using a Flash Drive is a totally separate optional procedure and not part of the creating a basic RESCUE CD. Add both the safe and full versions to the Rescue CD.

Hopefully, others will add their comments. More later.

PS: Should your hard drive fail, the REscue CD is your only means of getting your archives restored and becoming operational again.

7. photogeniie

Can I use DVD+R?

8. GroverH

Yes, a DVD+R can be used to create the Acronis Bootable Rescue CD. A blank CD is preferred but the DVD+R will definietly work --if it is compatible with your computer.

9. photogeniie

Thank you again Grover. I will use your Beginners Guide to Creating a basic full disk archive. I plan to do a full image backup monthly and weekly incrementals to take me to the next month.

Your information has helped me greatly and I feel a more comfortable than I did when I began researching all of this. EHD is recognized by my laptop and though I have not installed TI10, the screens you have provided look very user friendly. I will install software in the morning when I am mentally fresh.

My system has a combo CD/DVD unit. Since I use DVD for photo storage and not CD anymore, I did not think I had any blank CDs but I found a few Imation -R.

Again, thank you.

Bev

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.