Way to RESET everything?

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by sherryxp2000, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sherryxp2000

sherryxp2000 Registered Member

Is there a way to reset everything to default at one time? Other than uninstalling, and reinstalling?

2. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

I think the built in default button works OK although I don't have ESS.

Edit: Just noticed the grammar error in the message box...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  3. zoomster

zoomster Registered Member

nice observation! wd

4. sherryxp2000

sherryxp2000 Registered Member

Thanks Mick

Thanks Mick, it was so OBVIOUS I was merely overlooking it.

5. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

It's bewildering that ESET tells you to Check any Browsers for Increased Security or "Data May Not be Scanned" - Yet "Default ALL" UN-Checks the Browsers I had checked - Also reverts to Standard Display Vs. Advanced (lost most of my Rt Clk Options from ESS Icon in Sys Tray and didn't know why).

On Default Everything watch what you ask for - you may get more than you wanted.

I love ESET but I think they've got some sick-humor engineers that after work just laugh at us knowing how Un-Intuitive some of this stuff is and the jams we get into....

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008
  6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

As you probably know they have the import\export function. I can only suggest that once the program is installed and a user has their settings somewhat like they want them or before selecting the default that they consider exporting their settings.

Bubba

7. COSMO26

Bubba, I agree with that but many of us don't really know what the best/correct settings are (other than trusting Default) vis a vis Blackspear having masterfully Shown us in the 2.5/2.7 days.

ESET Setup in "Browsers" must not know the difference between Firefox/IE7 and Spybot S&D - and with "No Checks" being Default - the baby gets thrown out with the bath water. Again, Default actually reversing Its Own Instructions to insure data through a Browser is scanned is just mystifying - but nothing we can't stumble through and fix ourselves.

Thanks for posting my Test forum pic earlier in another post. It wouldn't let me when I tried.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I can understand that and I am sure when BS is able to offer the 3.0 tutorial it will assist others immensly. Having said that, I would ask that if you take a look at the 2.5/2.7 item you speak of you will see that it is more of a tutorial of what one can expect when installing the program. This in no way speaks lightly of that presentation, it simply was not strickly or even close to how best to have apply tight settings. Why, because 2.7 came with pretty tight settings.

With 3.0 Eset has done a splendid job again IMMHO in applying strong settings right out of the box. Are there other tweaking one could do, sure but not much needs to be done in regards to making the install securily stronger. Take a look at the below pic of Real-time file system protection and what by default is applied in a Typical installation, everything is checked.
    Setup.gif
    However, one needs to take a look a little further in regards to Realtime protection and check the default settings for ThreatSense engine parameter setup. Take for instance the Cleaning selection in ThreatSense setup, are you personally fine with the default of level Eset chose. Only you can answer that, not someone else and their preferred settings.

That's just one minor example of many and I am in no way demeaning what others might offer as a setup. However, as I stated earlier, Eset made this a strong setup but one does need to check the settings and possibly fine toon it to their liking.

Regards,
    Bubba

9. COSMO26

Thanks for that Reply. In many cases you know many of the concerns expressed by us amateurs simply rests in ESET Expertise -- and Paranoia -- being Inversely proportionate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.