Way to go OneCare!!!

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by quazimutato, Dec 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quazimutato

quazimutato Registered Member

I saw it got an Advanced on the latest av-comparatives.org test. Petty impressive considering it started out so bad in the beginning that av-comparatives was threatening to quit further testing of it in the future. Remarkable leaps forward each new test, keep up the good work guys.

2. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

do you work for MS? :D (joking)

yeah, it's a big improvement indeed.

3. quazimutato

quazimutato Registered Member

Who in their right mind would willingly work for MSo_O Seriously though, i dumped McAfee for OneCare and am feeling better about my decision.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I've just been reading some reviews on the latest v2 and its been getting strong recommendations all round. A big improvement over earlier versions.

5. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Better get used to it. When V4 or V5 is around, there will be no other antivirus product left on the market... :rolleyes:

6. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

Stefan, why would you say that? You're expert and Avira I believe?

7. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

Microsoft always aims to achieve total market domination. Why should it be different here?

8. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

I think that the position of Symantec with their Norton range of products is so strong in the PC market that Microsoft will for the first time see a big battle, which they can loose.

9. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Quite the defeatist attitude here.

Do you expect to be beaten by Microsoft through better product quality, or by some other means?

10. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Supporting older OS will still provide a chance for the other AV companies to survive. After all, Microsoft's consumer products are bound by the mainstream life cycle of the Windows operating systems, whereas 3rd party vendors can at least extend this to the period of the extended support cycle ;)

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

statement surprises me to. Hopefully this is not how Avira views things.

12. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

MS will probably add the Onecare suite in their OS in the future. and maybe you are right. they are improving too fast at the moment to just sit back and forget Onecare

13. Firecat

In theory Microsoft would not detect Other OS malware since, well, Linux and other OS are, duh, competitors to them :rolleyes:

There would still exist a market for these non-Windows users at least due to the above reason, and other AV companies might be able to survive on that user base....:)

14. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

Yes, AV companies will be able to survive by detecting malware for platforms that pride themselves on being malware-proof...

15. Firecat

Yes, indeed those platforms are 99% (if not 100%) malware proof but even then some malware does exist for those operating systems as well, low in numbers as they may be.....

But yes the situation looks bleak for AV companies :(

16. tec505

tec505 Registered Member

A way to float is to produce AV very strong and w/ large number of settings:
    for Advanced users. IMO MS target is normal people who do not know computer very well.

But is only my opinion.

Best regards.
    Mike

17. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

Im not sure they can bundle it in the OS because of 1) Anti-trust legal issues 2) they are losing a source of revenue.

I think different security firms will still be around. It is similar with iPod and Zune in the portable music player market, they entered too late.

18. Brian N

Brian N Registered Member

hehehe I'll stick to 3rd party security apps for as long as I possibly can.
    The day I have to be protected by only Microsoft is the day I stop using computers.

19. risl

risl Registered Member

I remember it was Igor Daniloff from Dr.Web who said that money can be beaten with bigger money, but really good software is unbeatable. ;)

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Of course, money, can also buy you the tools needed, to make unbeatable software to.;)

21. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

OneCare FP: RemoveWGA

Hi All,

Just looking at the av-comparatives results for November and noticed the OneCare false positive RemoveWGA. I laughed to myself...I don't know if that was really a fp from MS's perspective :p

Cheers
    Jeremy

22. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

And you'll never know what they will buy next

23. Straight Shooter

Straight Shooter Registered Member

I trialed Avira.. Very good AV suite. $79.95 for 3 users...

I had Kaspersky Internet Suite. I was able to get it for $11 per license then. However, if there's ever a company I ever despised, it's Kaspersky. I think some of you out there know why...

I am now trying M$ OneCare.. Hardly any impact on System resources. Excellent support by email, although I think M$ is even offering phone support for free (Not sure)... Detection is good and getting better. Easy to manage 3 computers on a router with centralized backups and has an easy shared printer wizard. $39,95 and I think I can get it cheaper. What's NOT to like?

When I have to deal with either a slow computer, ridiculously high prices, and snotty service, or even BS and whatnot, M$ is looking very good to me now...

Viva La Microsoft! LOL...
    Jim

24. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Because everyone will use Linux and there's no need for antivirus in Linux ... hihihihi ...
    Mrk

25. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

The way an oligopolist/monopolist gets control of the market is to buy up competitors and employ their technologies. In the process, they acquire the client base of their old competitors. Microsoft is primarily a marketing organization-not a software company. They are now determined to get a large share of the AV market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.