Way to deal with (i guess) unprintable characters

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Hi!

I have a problem that could be considered trivial, or esoteric, however I am hoping to discover what the issue is, and maybe even overcome it. If it is just some mistake on the page, then sorry for asking!

Sometimes when I am reading an article online certain letters will be displayed as an inverse colored question mark within a diamond of inverse colored background. More simply put, a white question mark on a black background.

One explanation might be that the font my browser is using does not include that character, for instance, if it is some non-English character. The problem is, I, wanting to experience the full glory of the words in the article would like to see the characters all displayed. Yet I know nothing of html or web page layouts. Is there a way to figure this out? This particular instance is on this web page: http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/serial_killers/predators/bathory/women_3.html

This is what I see:

Attached Files:

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It was trying to print out á, but it got messed up when they did it (importing translation error I believe?). I don't think you can do anything on your end, but she has a wikipedia page that's fairly accurate.

3. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

The text is in ANSI, whereas the page is in UTF-8. It is a common mistake of webmasters to mix encodings. You can "fix" it by choosing ISO-8859-1 or Windows-1252 encoding for the page, but other areas of the page might get messed up.

4. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

Thanks for clearing this up! It was confusing to me because I know there are so many fonts that contain a wide variety of international characters. Well, if adding a new font won't help, it isn't that important. I do sort of wonder about the direction of progress when after all of the advances in technology, a major web site has problems creating text that displays correctly. But I will grant them that most of it does!

Thanks again!

HandsOff!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.