WARNING: Use GuardedID Anti-Keylogger With Caution

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by LockBox, Aug 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hi all!

There was a review in the latest PC Magazine about GuardedID anti-keylogger ( http://www.guardedid.com ). I installed the 30-day trial and threw some keyloggers at it. Well, it performs as advertised. EXCEPT, you must read how it's advertised very carefully. It isn't really an anti-keylogger at all, it's an anti-keylogger while using Internet Explorer. It sends gobbledygook to the keylogger activity logs when you enter passwords using Internet Explorer.

The big warning: This program CANNOT prevent a keylogger from getting your passwords you type into your applications on your PC. For example, and to me this is major, it will not prevent keyloggers from logging your Truecrypt passwords(!) or your RoboForm Master Password. Or, any other encryption software for that matter.

So, they're doing a big marketing push and you must listen and read carefully that it doesn't halt keyloggers from logging your keystrokes, but only your keystrokes passing through Internet Explorer (Firefox isn't even supported).

On their website they have links to a video on how a keylogger works, they link to an ABC News report on the dangers of keyloggers, YET, their product doesn't protect you from what many want to keep from a keylogger - passwords to encrypted containers, devices, password programs, etc. They don't actually tell you this on their site. They stress online protection and Internet explorer but they don't explicitly come out and tell you that these other things (like what I mentioned above) are NOT protected. Now, I have.

I've done my good deed for the day.

2. Kaupp

Kaupp Registered Member

Gerard, It's not necessary to give such a warning about GuardedID's capabilities.Goto the "How Does GuardedID Work?" link and it will explain what the program does.

http://www.guardedid.com/quicklinks.aspx#R2

regards

Kaupp

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I realize they say that - but it is not splashed all over that you are only protected while ONLINE. It wasn't clear enough to me. They linked to two news stories about keyloggers and their software could not stop most of what was discussed. Thanks for again clearing it up though.

4. hitbit

hitbit Registered Member

Very interesting indeed. Their wording is true and no attempt has been made to suggest their program does any more than they claim but they don't exactly stress its limitations.
    Will KeyScrambler do the job or is it limited as well.o_O??

hitbit

5. caspian

caspian Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up, Gerard. I always appreciate your posts. Do you have any recommendations for protecting against and getting rid of keyloggers?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.