Warning about default options in True image 9

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mustang, Sep 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mustang

mustang Developer

True Image 9 has added a lot of nice options that were not present in TI8. You need to be aware of the default "Source files exclusion" settings. There are three check boxes that are all enabled by default. They are as follows:

1. "Exclude all hidden files and folder".

2. "Exclude all system files and folders".

3. "Exclude file matching the following criteria:". (*.bak, *.~, and *.tmp are include in the list by default.)

Since TI8 only had options concerning appearance, many people may have gotten used to not looking at the options. I wonder how many of the failed C: system restore attempts using TI9 can be explained because of these options. Personally, I have unchecked all three of these options.

Just thought this information may help someone.

mustang

2. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

You can stop wondering, since those options do not apply to disk imaging.

3. tachyon42

tachyon42 Registered Member

I would have thought that it would have been smarter to default behaviour such that TI9 operated in the same manner as TI8. Any additional features or behaviours should have to be activated by the user.

[edit]
    beenthereb4 - good to hear that, I doubted the developers could have been that silly.

4. mustang

mustang Developer

Hello beenthereb4,

Thanks for the reply.

Do these options only apply to the newly added backup of files and folders?

Sorry If I misunderstood.

mustang

5. MPSAN

MPSAN Registered Member

I, too, agree that it is not for image backup. I do like the auto verify that does apply to an image backup.

6. beenthereb4

beenthereb4 Registered Member

Yes, it's not very clear (to say the least), but if you go to that option -- select it and then click help -- it attempts to explain that it applies to (file and) folder backup.

7. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

That's a pretty important distinction and I'm glad mustang brought it up and beenthereb4 clarified it.

I remember feeling a shiver when I saw the default values and immediately unchecked them.

Now I understand why I should have merely been annoyed.

Woe unto someone that may rely on defaults for backing up just their windows system directory -- not that it would be likely for myself -- but it's why I agree with tachyon42's first comment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.