want to try dual boot but need help

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by cet, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I have been using Pardus Linux for some time on my virtual machine.I love Pardus too much and most of the time use it within virtual machine.I would like to install it on my computer but I have never used dual booting before.I do not want to touch the boot section of windows.I am reading things about dual boot lately So I think I found an answer.Please help me if I am wrong:
    I have only 1 hard disk which is C active and K for data.Since K is 100GB I will make it 80 to 20 using Easeus Partition master(I have used it before with success).Then I will install Pardus on the third partition(20 gb) but after installation I will install grub on the partition where linux is (on the 3rd partition-is this possible)
    Since I own a Vista laptop I will use the files from Vista to install EasyBCD on my windows XP.And afterwards using EasyBCD I will be able to boot into Linux.
    Is this correct,is there any chance of giving harm to my windows installation? Do I have to do other things? and after doing the things explained above will I be able to use the windows restore,boot into safe mode or restore windows with Paragon or shadowprotect type of programs.Thanks in advance.

2. cet

cet Registered Member

Bump.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I'll get to it ... patience :) too tired for big thoughts now.
    Mrk

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

5. cet

cet Registered Member

Thanks lotuseclat79 I read those posts.

Thanks I will be waiting patiently and eagerly.I read your comments about Pardus it is a very helpful writing,but I think you wrote that there was not a live CD for Pardus.You can download a live CD from this address.It is nearly at the middle of the page;http://www.webmastersitesi.com/linux/kullanma-ve-calistirma-pardus-hakkinda.20196
    the line which begins like this:ISO-MD5SUM: ftp......

6. MeFer

MeFer Registered Member

7. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

OK, I have 2 H. Drives and you have 1, but for what it's worth.
    When I still had XP I remember installing Ubuntu on the second hard drive and installing grub to the MBR (not to a partition).
    Grub picked up the XP OS and added an entry in menu.lst for Windows XP.
    I had no trouble booting when choosing Windows XP form the grub menu.
    Also no prob. with recovery console (just needed to increase the time to show OS in System properties).
    I have never used EasyBCD so can't comment on that.

8. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

hello cet there easy way

step 1 make separate partition and install bootloader (grub) in its root partition

please check here step one making separate partition in a easy way and installing boot-loader in / (root)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=265473

you can get gparted tool in Parted Magic or ubuntu ....etc .............if its not given in pardus

http://distrowatch.com/?newsid=05966

step 2 give path to your system too see your grub(bootloader)

then already given my MeFer by giving path

please check saikee

http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130715&page=3

or

by using EasyBCD which is most easy way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdjNfXZjRxs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ecv2ly4FL6c

9. mack_guy911

10. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

cet,
    How are things going - did any of the posts enlighten you ? o_O :)

11. Mrkvonic

Hi cet,

Just read what you plan to do.
    Yes, that sounds like a very good plan.

I would do one thing - backup data first to make sure nothing gets lost.

Mrk

12. cet

cet Registered Member

Now I feel ready to try it.I will try to do it in the weekend and let you know.Thanks.

13. cet

cet Registered Member

I backed up my files,made an unallocated space with Easeus Partition master.I burned the Pardus iso. file to a cd(actually to 4 dvds and 1 cd) but I could not install Pardus.I checked the integrity and it was okay.I choose the root and the swap partitions formatted them and when I try to install, the installation hangs at %32,or %15. I tried many times but I could not finish installation.I gave up.Now I have 2 partitons which are unknown to windows.
    I do not know where the problem is.Maybe my cd reader is not working right?

14. Mrkvonic

Could be any number of problems: bad iso, bad cd, bad cd writer, maybe even bad memory, hardware incompatibility ... Try another distro, see what gives, just for fun. If another one fails, then you may have to take a look at hardware components.
    Mrk

15. cet

cet Registered Member

I am downloading Pardus again,if it does not work I downloaded Kubuntu I will try to install it.

16. mack_guy911

(actually to 4 dvds and 1 cd) o_Oo_O?

i guss you are trying to say 4 cds and 1 dvd right

secondly mostly when you try to install from 3 or 4 cds most chances it give trouble even if one single file is corrupted in single media it give you pain a lot

if there is any live distro please try to install via it rather then installing via 4 or 5 media or

choose

dvd instead with minimum install then tweak install more packages according your need

i never tried pardus so cannot comment but i recommended you open suse or fedora or ubuntu base to try before giving up

here i put some install vidoes of fedora to give you a little idea

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=263676

17. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

According to website Pardus 2009.1 International CD (Install CD) = 685MB and Pardus 2009.1 International Live CD (Live CD) = 697MB
    So I think cet meant that he/she burnt Pardus iso image once each to those disks...to see if any of them would allow a successful install.
    BTW. When Mrk wrote his Pardus review he mentioned that there was no Live CD. It seems that the Live CD mentioned above is a 'real' Live CD - hopefully that is the case.

PS. Doing a slow burn is usually a good idea.

18. cet

cet Registered Member

That is true.
    I burned at the speed of 8 the last time and the installation stopped at 57%.The best thing about the installation is that;I do the partitioning and it comes the time it says''Now relax and wait for the installation to finish'' That is where I pull my hair out.
    Since I was going to use the English version of Pardus so maybe it is better for me to use Kubuntu,which is used world wide.I love the KDE desktop.The only thing I preferred Pardus was the easy partitioning of boot and swap files.I do not have much knowledge about Linux so I am afraid to mess up my Windows installation while doing the partitioning part and putting the Grub in the boot part of Linux partition.I will have to do some reading on the internet (mostly Dedoimedo pages) and afterwards install Kubuntu on my desktop.If I choose to install the Grub to the MBR I know it is a very easy installation,since I have prepared an unallocated 35 GB of place for the Linux.
    I will not give up,and try to dual boot windows XP and Linux since 2014 and afterwards dump windowsXP and use only Linux on this desktop.I may only use windows 7,8 or whatever it is when I buy a new laptop.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.