Want to move OS to another drive.

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by Checky, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Checky

Checky Registered Member

I have a 20g hard drive that has my OS on it and a 325g drive (50g free) that I would like to move my OS to.

I was told this product will do it, but if it can, I am unsure how to go about it. Can anyone help? Will I lose all of my data on the 'destination' drive?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Tommy

2. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi,

If you use the Copy Hard function - the data on the target HD will be lost.

If you make an image of the source partition - then restore it to a partition on the target HD - then only the data on the target partition will be lost.

3. Checky

Checky Registered Member

Thank you very much for that information. Not sure how to do that, but it gives me somewhere to go.

Thanks again!!

4. SIW2

SIW2 Registered Member

Hi Checky,

You could shrink the 325gb drive by say 42gb

Make 2 partitions from that - of say 21gb each.

Use the Paragon Backup fuction - back up the entire 20gb drive (tick all the boxes in the "what to backup" window) and store the backup image onto the second - the one on the right - of the 2 new partitions on your 325gb drive.

Then restore that image to the other new partition you just created.

You could delete the partition containing the backup after that - then extend the new partition containing your operating system.

You really do need more space than you have in the long run. It is important to make regular backup images in case of disaster. You need somewhere to store that image.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.