Wanna understand something about NAV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by magoood, Dec 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magoood

magoood Registered Member

Hi
    I installed NAV 2005 today and i have something which i noticed in all NAV versions i have seen on my machine and friends's machine. It's that after installing NAV and using liveupdate (without actually updating), i found that i have new defination files of about 1.5 MB. I cancelled this liveupdate without d/l and got a head to the intelligent updater exe file that was about 5 MB in size and installed it but the strange thing is that after running liveupdate again, i found that it informs me that new updates are available and they r of size 1.5 MB !!! so I wonder what was the effect of the stand alone updater file i used from a while o_O o_O

I assumed that liveupdate would tell me that my virus defs are up 2 date OR d/l few kilobytes of some definations not bundled with the updater file i used

Another Question: What does the "Norton WMI Update" do actually ?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2004
  2. IBK

IBK AV Expert

Norton Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI)

3. magoood

In fact i already know that WMI stands for windows management ... but what i aimed to know is what does this update do and what does Norton WMI do really ? OR what is it's role in NAV 2005 ?

4. IBK

IBK AV Expert

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...88256ecb006a1503?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

The Norton Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) Update allows the Windows Security Center to accurately report on the status of your Symantec security software. The Windows Security Center is a new feature included in Windows XP Service Pack 2. Upon installing the Norton WMI Update, the Windows Security Center will be able to accurately report the status of your Symantec software.

5. magoood

THX guys 4 ALL yr responses.
    But there's another thing...
    Upon scanning files on my F: partition, i receive an err message saying: Error: "Norton AntiVirus 2005 was unable to scan your computer for infections . . . " (3019,1)
    and it happens after a while and when clicking on the suuport link, i am being directed 2 this page: http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/se...1&language=English&product=NAV&version=11.0.1

Any body have got this issue with NAV 2005o_O. I don't scan the C: so there first solution does not apply on me and the second solution makes me paranoid coz it won't make the scan effective as compressed files are skipped from scan :mad:
    ANY discovered workaround ?

6. IBK

IBK AV Expert

I got this issue with the 2004 version, but no longer with the 2005 version. It is very sad that this issue still exists also in the 2005 version.
    What you could do is to try to locate on which file(s) the error occurs and to put them in a own folder without scanning it longer with NAV; if needed scan that files with another scanner. If that does not work and the workarounds on the symantec site also not, then symantec will give you back your money in case you are unsatisfied with the product (at least this was one of the first options they gave me some years ago when I asked the phone support about another thing).

7. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I don't understand why they insist on stupid LiveUpdate. Its simply too unstable.
    Every AV with its own non generic update system is much more reliable.
    Not to mention that NAV uses full incrimental update system,but they still release definitions only once per week. Whats the point of incrimental system in this case? Heh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.