Walmart launches its own 'Overpowered' gaming PC line-up

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ronjor, Oct 30, 2018.

1. __Nikopol

__Nikopol Registered Member

My interpretation of it's work was always that it has to blow off the sticky, gooey heat that oozes out of the ribs...
    Also a small fan would need to be very fast and therefore loud in order to produce the same amount of airflow as a big one. That's why the fan would be bad.

But I know: We'll see when they get reviewed.
    I'll make sure to have a "I told you so" ready when their judgement cometh. :p:D

2. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Huh? You'll be wasting your breath. For one, that Cyberpower is not the Walmart computer. For another, I never said any little fan is good enough, or what I would choose. I like and have always recommended larger fans because they can move the same amount of air but at a slower RPM - which means they tend to be quieter. And I hate fan noise.

Now back on topic, please.

3. __Nikopol

I mean when they show that the OP computers are just as a garbled mess as the cyberpower is.
    Oh ok. It sounded like that to me. :)
    We are discussing the potential quality of the OP computers. How is that not on-topic?

4. Bill_Bright

Still would be wasting your breath. No where have I said the Walmart computers are any good. Read this thread again. Note post #2.
    You were discussing the Cyberpower computer with its tiny fan. And none of your last post has anything to do with the OP computers. So again, back on topic, please.

5. __Nikopol

Yes, maybe I remember wrong. But I was always discussing the OPs by proxy.

6. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Indeed. I have this old 1U server that I can no longer use, because I'm in a small apartment. It has five or six 1" high-speed axial fans. And it sounds a lot like a jet winding up for takeoff :eek:

7. Bill_Bright

I used to work in a radio transmitter site that used a bunch of similar axial fans. They spun at 18,000 RPM! I (and just about everyone who worked there) suffered some permanent hearing loss because of it. The F-15s and F16s taking off dozens a time a day a couple hundred yards away didn't help either! ;)

8. mirimir

I've never heard a military jet taking off, except in recordings. But I'm sure that they're damn loud.

Interference effects make servers with multiple high-speed fans are especially annoying. Because you have not just a high-frequency whine, but a randomly pulsating high-frequency whine. And then mix in the F-15s :eek:

9. Bill_Bright

Especially fighters.

There's no mixing in the F-15s. That noise dominates and drowns out everything else.

10. __Nikopol

Reviews are out. They are as bad predicted.
    Gamers Nexus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTni-Vfrf9c
    Gamers Nexus: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CVAssVXdM0 (case thermals special) Basically no front fan because they starve dead.
    Bitwit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCdnHo0M95w

11. Bill_Bright

Yeah, the preliminary reviews don't look good. The one about sending the wrong PC - that should not count against the PC itself.

But the front side cable management, cheap PSU, 1 stick of RAM, hot glue, starved front panel fans, no USB 3 up front - for starters - is not good.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

13. mirimir

Funny :)

The association of "Walmart" and "gaming machine" never made sense to me, I gotta say. Now maybe "Costco" ;)

14. hawki

hawki Registered Member

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.