Wait for Eset's firewall-containing suite or jump to Outpost 4?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by veri, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. veri

veri Registered Member

'Tis the question. I recently uninstalled the freebie Antivir to go back to Nod32 and a two-year license with the intent of upping to the suite when available (more than likely). The problem is that there really isn't much of a word as to when that suite is going to be released, and of course, none of us know just how great any firewall or antispam modules will be.

But now that I've noticed that Outpost 4 is out, I'm wondering if I should just go with that and call it a day.

Any thoughts?

2. cprtech

cprtech Registered Member

If it interests you, trialing it for the 30 day period or less is probably your best bet. Version 4.0 is not as problem free as the last stable version of 3.51.

3. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

I'd wait since you already have a license for NOD32 -- I would assume you'll get a discount to upgrade to the suite.

4. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

True, especially since the word is that a NOD32 version 2.7 is due out sometime in the future, which of course means the 3.0 suite probably is a while off yet...

5. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

There is a thread started at the NOD32 forum here at Wilders about version 3.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=139188

I've been using NOD32 for 2 years now and I'm using it with Outpost Pro 4, no conflicts here.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2006
  6. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I highly doubt esets firewall will be anywhere near as good as outpost 4 unless they are going to incorporate one of the current leading firewalls into their suite.
    If you are concerned about your internet security then i would suggest you get outpost 4, it works great alongside nod32.

7. veri

veri Registered Member

I would tend to agree, but I'm also behind a router, so I wonder if I could get away with that...

8. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

If your router has a built in firewall then you instead of a software firewall you could try something like appdefend.

9. veri

veri Registered Member

WRT54G (v4... no neutered v5 boxes for me!). Basically, the only reason why I use Kerio at the moment is because I do like the degree of app control it imparts as far as outbound connections, replaced executables, all that jazz. And of course, some firewall redundancy in the sense that it IS a softie firewall is nice... although I'd love to have an integrated approach to things, hence my interest in the suite-to-be.

10. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

Outpost 4 seems not very good. I cant quite put my finger on it, but i dont like it. i would much rather use 3.5 since it was stable etc. But i dont seem to get outpost working with my network sharing with Parallels. . . This is why i am using Sunbelt Software's Kerio personal firewall with the gateway mode enabled

11. Notok

Notok Registered Member

I hate to mention it since most people seem to have good experiences and it is a good firewall, but every time we've tried to test it we've had problems, and that's before adding anything else in.

If you're going to consider it, definitely use the trial for the full time allowed before making a final decision.

12. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

For technical reasons i absolutly love outpost. The way it blocks access to applications is grand. Ever tried blocking a program with another firewall ? the blocked program will sit there sit there sit there and wait to timeout. With outpost, you block a program BOOM instantly timesout the blocked application with no wasting time. But sadly 4.0 seems to not fit my bill anymore there is something wrong with it and i can not point to it and say Ah ha! But i do maintain for the most part that "outpost" is one of in not the best firewall i have seen. But for me a firewall should be just a firewall, but all these companies seem to want an all in one magic bullet. I hate bloat. I like to mix and match. I dont like a firewall trying to be an antivirus, or a firewall trying to be a HIPS. A firewall should and always be a Firewall . . . Then you can take this and that and a pinch of this and get your perfect system. Outpost has componants this and anti leak that and Oh we got anti spyware, and a dns cache and a this and a that. BS. stop it ! make a damn good firewall and let us decide what else to use. i hate constant popups, i want control and security while minimising my popups. My system is also used by my parents and i get calls because when they switch to their account they pannic because somthing poped up about something running on another account and they turn the damn pc off along with my account that was logged in.

Just my theory ofcorse

WG

13. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Hehe, I'm very much the same, especially with the family part :) I very definitely agree that a firewall should just be a firewall, no more and no less. I actually decided to go with Look'n'Stop, it's what seemed best for me (easy for me to use to it's fullest without hassle, my mother also loved the single popup with no confusing details), but I also recognize that Outpost has some great qualities otherwise. Outpost free is actually what I started on, and I actually liked it quite a bit.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2006
  14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I use NOD32 and just recently installed Comodo personal firewall which work very well together. :D

15. vince35

vince35 Registered Member

same thing here (NOD32 2.5 + comodo 2.3 + Spysweeper 5)

Now, I'm waiting for ESET's Nod32 v3 Security Suite release to test its firewall (and the other security tools)...

If it's good, I will slip to the suite, Otherwise, I'll stay with Comodo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.