W7 love

Discussion in 'hardware' started by emmjay, Feb 7, 2017.

1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

What is going on here? It appears there are manufacturers who see W7 has a lot more love than W10.

It looks as though they believe it is worth the gamble.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/amd-s-ryzen-processors-to-support-windows-7-512679.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/news/lenovo-launches-new-windows-7-laptops-512678.shtml

It may go further than love for W10 as there are governments around the world who have banned W10. There are also all those pirated copies of W7 that still work just fine in many many countries. W10 does not have the same prominence.

The cloudy cloud situation (Windows 10 Cloud) is just adding more confusion, so maybe W7 will see more life than anyone expected. MS will not be amused.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Well frankly what ever MS gets from this it is their own fault. They've treated people like MS is the owner of the computer and can do what it wants. If they couldn't anticipate push back then they aren't very bright.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Good news indeed! Thanks for the infos.

4. Cache

Cache Registered Member

Good for AMD and Lenovo. Might be life in the the old W7 for a while yet. :D

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I agree. Since they don't show any respect to their users, they can't expect users supporting them.
    I don't know what OS will use governments that don't trust MS any more after 2020?

6. Joxx

Joxx Registered Member

Windows 7 the new XP, hehe, I like that
    and this time it's even more justifiable.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

While I would always opt for Windows 10 in preference to Windows 7, I do think this is a good move. I prefer Windows 10 to Windows 7, but I do still think Windows 7 is an excellent operating system.

8. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

Good, too many laptops\notebooks are supplied with Win 10 home complete with uefi\bios embedded product number thus not allowing the owners to "downgrade" unless you know the el.cfg trick and I doubt most new to computer users will.

9. roger_m

I've never heard of that. As I understand it, all you have to do is to set the BIOS to legacy mode, in order for the computer to be able to boot from a Windows 7 flash drive.

10. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

The Lenovo laptops referenced in the Softpedia article are Kaby Lake and they are also Intel based. That is in breach of what Microsoft announced in October 2016.. They said that Intel would only support W10 on Kaby Lake systems.

Under pressure from their Enterprise Clients, Microsoft eventually backed off pushing W10 (only) on SkyLake, so it is possible that a compromise may have been reached on Kaby Lake for Lenovo/Intel (for business reasons). If not, maybe Lenovo just decided to break the agreement.

It would be more interesting if a new cabal was forming - just a thought. :cautious:

11. clubhouse1

Yes but in my experience it refuses to start the downgrade due to the fact it insists on using the W10 embedded key...The only way I could use it was by using a el.cfg file along with PID.txt with the windows 7 product key.

12. roger_m

That's strange. Windows 7 should not be able to read the embedded key, since embedded products keys were not introduced until Windows 8.

13. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

I am thinking of W10 as Netbook or tablet OS. As for W7 it's destop OS and i love it as well.

14. clubhouse1

Well it didn't work for me despite selecting legacy in bios settings, I can only guess it stalled because the product number was invalid for 7.

15. Duotone

Duotone Registered Member

Thanks for the info... This is a good news indeed still prefer Win7.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Cool to see this, since M$ made a mess of Win 10. But I would rather see them offering Win 8, which is more secure.

17. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

I don't think W8 is popular enough for OEMs to offer it. Lots of people are buying a W8.1 full retail license right now and setting it aside for 2020. If they are not liking W10 by then, it takes them to 2023, if their system has the specs. to support it. I can not see why these new Lenovo P series systems would not support W8.1 if they support W7. Screens might be an issue.

In Lenovo's case they stated that the majority of their consumers are asking for W7. Lenovo is the largest supplier of workstations for Enterprises, so it is possible that their clients wanted 2017 systems that can run both W10 and W7. W10 desktop/W10 Cloud has a lot of unknowns right now and requires a huge commitment from business and government. Consumers not so much.

18. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

19. Oleg

Oleg Registered Member

Even after support for W7 comes to the end of the road. I will still be using it. Big deal no Updates any more on 2020. Can't call MS for support anymore or something?. :argh:

20. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

If Yogi Berra were still with us he would probably say... "It's XP deja vu all over again"

21. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I'm sure we''ll get another "POS Ready trick" and will be able to get security updates after 2020 also ;)

22. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

The thing is, Win 7 is a bit too old when it comes to certain OS security aspects. But yes, I'm also planning to install Win 8.1 on my next machine, no way that I'm touching Win 10.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.