W7/8 Windows Updates, your decision?

Discussion in 'polls' started by emmjay, Oct 16, 2016.

?

What did you choose?

1. Security Monthly Quality Rollup

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  2. Security-only Quality Update

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Not decided yet

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. I no longer update Windows

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  1. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Microsoft changed their Windows Update policy for both Windows 7 and Windows 8: In October 2016, both W7 and W8 will no longer receive individual updates, so users have to decide whether they want to manually download a single update that contains security-only updates from a Microsoft support website or download a single rollup that contains all security and non-security updates sent to them via windows update.

2. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I haven't decided yet. I will begin with Security Monthly Quality Rollup until they include something I don't want. Then I will move to Security only Quality update and if they break that too I will just disable updates.

3. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Can you do that? Do you anticipate no problems uninstalling the rollups (in reverse), one at a time or would you go back to an image backup prior to the first rollup and start from there? Or just start with security-only right after the one that made you change your mind?

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Security-only Quality Update: waiting for some work around that unpack them too check.

5. Minimalist

I wouldn't trust uninstall, I would restore system image taken before updating. I also test install them in virtual machine and use Autoruns comparison to see what was changed or added during update. If something fishy will be added to rollup I will just move to security only updates.

6. new2security

new2security Registered Member

I'm a bit confused.
    Can you get the monthly security roll-up for W7 via WU?
    I thought those roll-ups were for enterprise only.

I only was offered the quality monthly security roll-up for my system.

* Edit : My bad. I now see it's the .msu file you can download from MS servers. I hunch is, it's only matter of time before they pull the plug on this option too. So eventually everybody has to go the quality-monthly-rollup route.

7. mantra

mantra Registered Member

i haven't decided yet
    just bad memories ....

8. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

I chose "I no longer update windows." That's only partly true, however. I do update windows, just not on a daily basis like MS wants me to. I may go as long as 6 months or a year without updates. And definitely not on an automatic schedule. I may do a spot update, or a full rollup. Depends on my mood and if there are any potato chips around.

I've gotten caught too many times when I wanted to shutdown now. And not a half-hour later. I got caught too many times having an application break or have some aspect of it or the OS change behavior in way I prefer it didn't.

I'm not an "old man get off my lawn" type. Nor am I a control freak watching every byte of disk space and compulsively organizing everything. I dunno.. Windows simply seems to work better when not mucked with on a daily basis..

Besides, a full manually controlled update process allows me to make backups so I can go back to yesterday if something breaks. And it also helps to delay updating, too, let the rest of the world beta-test just for me!

9. Minimalist

I decided to switch to Security Monthly Quality Rollup. After installing April updates I disabled Diagtrack service.

10. gorblimey

gorblimey Registered Member

* I {no longer="never"} update Windows

OTOH, Service Packs can be very useful, and I thoroughly recommend them. But M$ has become very technical and confusing... I probably don't deserve to have a wonderful OS like Win7, do I :'(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.