W32/Statik Threat Warning on Battlefront Download

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Didz, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Didz

Didz Registered Member

Like the title says, I purchased a new game from Battlefront this morning (Strategic Command 2: Pacific War).

Paid my $75, got my license code, and clicked on the download button. The download got to 99% and then NOD32 interupted with a threat warning that the file was infected with a W32/Statik trojan virus.

I terminated the connection as advised and submitted the file for analysis.

I tried again, this time trying to instal directly from the the Battlefront file. rather than storing it first on my PC, but got the same result.

I have logged this issue with Battlefronts support team, but I'm wondering if this might be a false warning. It seems odd that a download from an official site that sells its game by DL would have infected files on its servers.

Either way, I shelled out $75 this morning on a game which I currently can't accept delivery of.o_O

++++
    16:15 30/9/2009 Reply from Battlefront.com support team

No, it's not a problem on our end. It's a problem with your anti-virus software reporting what is known as a "false positive". In other words, it's thinking it's recognizing a trojan where there is none. This often happens with anti-virus software that is set to look for "heuristic" virus definitions, in other words, not actual known viruses but code that looks similar to a virus. Please contact your anti-virus vendor and inform them about this false positive and they should be able to remove the warning for you with one of the next virus definition updates.

There are no viruses on our download servers, it's 100% certified.
    ---
    Questions? Check out our extensive Knowledge Base at: www.battlefront.com/faq

Ticket Details
    ===================
    Ticket ID: GLW-221983
    Department: Fulfillment / Shipping
    Priority: Urgent
    ++++

Can you advise on how to resolve this?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  2. prasid

prasid Registered Member

Yes sometimes it's happen. The author of the game should recitified this issue. False positive is a very general matter but I don't know why author of that game careless??

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Please disable IMON or potentially unwanted applications in the IMON setuo temporarily, download the file and subsequently submit it to ESET's viruslab per the instructions here. If the file is too large to submit by email upload it to an ftp and provide a link to it. If you don't have access to any ftp server, ESET will provide you with anonymous access to theirs.

4. Didz

Didz Registered Member

Created a Windows security point just in case then downloaded the game again and over-rode the threat warning.

So, far everything seems to be fine and I'm playing the game without any hassle. The file has been sent to ESET for analysis anyway, and I'm currently running a full system diagnostic as the request of ESET' s analysis team to see if anything has embedded itself into my system.

So, watch this space.

P.S. The response from Battlefront was that this was nothing other than a 'False Positive', which should be resolved by my AV supplier. So, hopefully everything should be fine.

5. danieln

danieln Eset Staff

6. Didz

Didz Registered Member

The case is being dealt with by Martin Petrik.
    See Case #378456 - "W32/Statik Threat Warning on Battlefront Download"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.