W2K ruined boot partition - cannot log in

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by NickWhitehead, Nov 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickWhitehead

NickWhitehead Registered Member

Using DD 10.0 (2117)

The system has a 40GB disk. It was partitioned as
    - 10GB - old W2K NTFS primary boot partition (now unused)
    - 10GB - active W2K (SP4) NTFS primary boot partition, disk(0) partition(2)
    - ~20GB (remainder) - logical NTFS partition for data

I needed more data space, so using DD from the boot rescue CD (for safety), I:
    - deleted the old 10GB boot partition
    - moved the active boot partition down by 10GB to 0
    - moved and resized the logical data partition down by 10GB, and up to ~30GB (remainder) in size
    - I then edited boot.ini in the active boot partition to change its signature to d(0)p(1), as that is what the partition signature now appears to be

It all appeared to work, and the system now boots OK, but will not login. As soon as you login, it thinks for a few seconds and brings you back to the login prompt again. Something in the OS clearly knows where on the disk it wants to be, and it isn't there any more.

Bit of a disaster - any suggestions as to what has gone wrong, and more importantly, how to fix it without a complete reinstall? (I tried putting a little NTFS primary partition back in front of the main boot partition, but it made no difference).

2. NickWhitehead

NickWhitehead Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.