W2K Modem

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Chilling, Sep 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chilling

Chilling Guest

Discovered the hard way that dial-up modems for win98 do not work on w2k and xp.
    Could someone point me in the direction of where I can download a free modem for w2k. The computers are Compaq. (I don't just go to the compaq site because I don't know the right modem to download)

Thank You

2. Close_Hauled

Close_Hauled Registered Member

We need to know that too. If we know the chipset that is on the modem, then we can point you in the right direction. It is the chipset manufacturer who supplies the drivers to Compaq. Compaq may modify the drivers, but usually they just add their name and logo.

You can take the board out and look at the chip itself. There is nomenclature on the chip. There should be an FCC ID code on it as well. Find the code and use these sites to find the manufacturer:

http://www.fcc.gov/oet/fccid/help.html

https://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/prod/oet/cf/eas/reports/GenericSearch.cfm

Also, please tell us what model Compaq you have.

3. Chilling

Chilling Guest

Oh my, this is much to complicated for me. I would never attempt going inside the computer box and would not know what to look for even if I did. About all I know is that its a compaq in the 5000 range that had a hsp 56 micro modem install prior to the upgrade.
    I will have to give up on this. Can't afford to bring it into a shop. Oh my this turned out very badly.

Thank you for your attempt to help.

4. Close_Hauled

Don't give up yet. Hold on...

5. Close_Hauled

You should be able to download the latest driver from here:

http://www.conexant.com/support/hsp_driverdownload.jsp

But for some reason the link is broken. The safest thing to do is contact Conexant and get the file from them. There are other, third part sites that have the file, but I do not know who to trust. You could post another thread asking for a safe place to download the file that I mentioned. The people on Wilders would know.

The file that you need is:

HSP_UniDriverSoftware_Win2kXP.zip

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  6. Chilling

Chilling Guest

CLOSE_HAULED

May I gratefully thank you for your help without which I would have been at a complete lost. Tonight was able to download the drivers an will try to install later.
    You are a very nice person, THANK YOU!

Chilling

7. Close_Hauled

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.